The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First AG brew recipe help.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
ohill1981
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First AG brew recipe help.....

We'll i am going to be making my first All-Grain batch hopefully next week and i was looking to make an American Wheat style beer but give it a subtle orange flavor. I have read that using extract fruit flavors is the easiest method,but i do not like the idea of extracts and would much rather get the orange flavor naturally from the fruit it self. Can someone tell me how i would go about getting the desired orange flavor i am looking for... I have never used fruit before and it is all new to me! I understand you add it to the secondary similar to dry hopping, but still confused on how much and when using oranges do you only use the peel? how do i wash and crush up an orange.... My Base recipe is going to be this..

5lbs. pale 2-row malt
2lbs wheat malt
1.oz Casacade whole leaf

and is 10 lbs or oranges too much or not enough ?

On Deck: Undecided
Fermenting: Noche Buena....
Fermenting:
Secondary..... (Dog Fish Head 60min Clone)
Conditioning: .Akka Lakka Pale Ale ....
Drinking....... Anything!.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
danielinva
Recipes 

10 pounds sounds like way too many oranges, but then again I've never brewed with them before. If you're just wanting a citrus taste to it, use coriander. If you really think you want the oranges in there you could try looking off of this

Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Whut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1623 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 8548

BM has a recipe on here where you add the Orange zest to the boil. Here's the link to that thread.

I brewed the Blood Orange Hefeweizen that danielinva linked above and have it on tap now. Not bad and will tap BM’s Wit as soon as this is done.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
danielinva
Recipes 

Surprisingly, none of the citrus notes come from the zest, so don't forget the coriander if you go that route.

Quick Reply