The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First AG brew, I bought grain..what shoud I make?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Looks good. Let us know how it turns out.

Did you boil the same amount in each pot? If not, your hop utilization may be a bit different than you think.
I just bottled this brew tonight after 1.5 weeks in Primary and a 1 week saaz whole leaf dry hop in secondary. I had to steal a few tastes as I moved it from secondary to the bottling bucket. It is very good! You get hit upfront with malt, fading to crisp bitterness. It is hard for me to detect aroma before carbonation, but I think this is going to be very similar to a new belgium fat tire, but with a little less alcohol and more hop bitterness and aroma. I mashed super low, so I ended up going from 1.040 to 1.006. That puts the ABV north of 4.4 so it is quite sessionable. All in all, for my first all grain I think it is a home run.

I have two more all grains in primary:

Oatmeal Stout
Apricot Wheat IPA ....sounds good doesn't it?!

The best thing is that on my last two my efficiency was right around 74% which is pretty good for a cooler with some steel hose!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply