Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #71
jehatha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just kegged a 10 gallon batch yesterday and the gravity sample was great. Yes it has a strong Amarillo and citra nose and taste. This is going to be a great beer.

A local nano brewery that is just starting up in my area is doing a Firestone tap take over on 12/12/12 with Union Jack IPA, Double Jack Double IPA, Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA, Reserve Porter, and the ever so elusive Double DBA Imperial Special Bitter. I can not wait.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #72
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm a little late on posting this up since the keg got tapped about two weeks ago but... my batch came out great! I was not able to get Amarillo hops at the time so I went with Falconers. I think it was probably a decent substitution but I'm looking forward to doing another batch with Amarillo.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results. I had a couple of friends taste it side by side with FW Wookie Jack and they both said it was very close. Mine seemed to have a bit more mouth feel than the FW and there was a noticeable difference in the aroma - not less, just different. My AVBwas about a half point low so I've got a bit of dialing in to do on the next run.

One last note, I did my dry hop in the keg and I'm not too sure how I feel about that. I used a paint strainer bag for both additions weighting it and dangling it near the bottom of the keg. Still, I think there was a lot of hop matter that got into the keg. I was hoping it would all settle to the bottom and be gone after a few pints but I still see some residue on glasses. I think maybe next time I'll just go into a secondary carboy...

Last but not least, thanks to SkeezerPleezer for posting the recipe and and the follow up adjustments! This is on the top of the favorite recipe files for me.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #73
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Anyone have any luck with wlp007 in this recipe? Would it dry it out too much? I used 007 for a 90min clone, and loved it! The last iPa I made came in under attenuated, and I reeeeeally want to try and avoid that again

Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #74
jclucca
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar View Post
Anyone have any luck with wlp007 in this recipe? Would it dry it out too much? I used 007 for a 90min clone, and loved it! The last iPa I made came in under attenuated, and I reeeeeally want to try and avoid that again
I used US-05 in mine and it turned out great. 007 would be good too.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #75
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Side by side mine has way too much Amarillo. Not sure where it is coming from, the rest seems quite close to the original. But I noticed this before I finished the first dry hop, wonder if I whirlpooled this and what temp.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #76
HoppinThruTX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewing this today. Just mashed in at 148. Only difference was I had had to use Chocolate Wheat (400L) because the LHBS doesn't carry Midnight Wheat. Really looking forward to having this beer on tap at my house.

Oh, and glad we all made it through the apocalypse!! Cheers!!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #77
flyingfinbar
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's interesting that the ibu's are only ~62 for such a big CDA. Has anyone turned up the bittering addition? I love the original, and I certainly don't doubt this recipe, but it's definitely on the low side of imperial IPA's... Or is that a stylistic departure from CDA's and big IPA's?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #78
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar View Post
It's interesting that the ibu's are only ~62 for such a big CDA. Has anyone turned up the bittering addition? I love the original, and I certainly don't doubt this recipe, but it's definitely on the low side of imperial IPA's... Or is that a stylistic departure from CDA's and big IPA's?
Website says Wookey is 80 IBU. Maybe the difference would be whirlpool isomerization of the 0-min additions? They are known for doing that in other beers. I calculated my final product to be around 85IBU based off a 30 minute whirlpool at 180.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #79
HoppinThruTX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I bumped up my bittering addition about 15 IBU's because I was kinda thinking the same thing... But I also moved the 25 minute additions to 20 minutes thinking I would retain more flavor and aroma.... Also threw in 2 oz. each of Citra and Amarillo for the whirlpool instead of the suggested 1.75

Looking forward to having this one perfect by the time the Super Bowl comes around... And hopefully the Texans will be playing in it

Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #80
runningfarmer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did A side by side taste test of my batch that was brewed on 10/27/12 to a bottle that was bottled on 9/12. The left is the Wookey the clone has a darker head, they taste very close. Almost can't tell the difference. Maybe a little more hop taste in the clone. The second picture is after 15 minutes and the head is almost the exact same. This is one of my favorite beers ever. Thanks again for the great recipe.

sde-sde.jpg   head.jpg  

Quick Reply