The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #231
pulseyou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Going to brew a 1 gallon batch of this bad boy. Any updates to current recipe? Wookey Jack is delicious!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #232
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

First recipe I it. Seems like a lot of time and work for 1g...

Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #233
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Hey guys, so I brewed this beer on 2/19/13 and everything went perfectly to plan. aerated the wort hit all the numbers on the dot, yet I am still sitting here with a gravity of 1.019. I have been trying to rouse the yeast/warm the fermenter for the last 2 weeks and I have been stuck at 1.019. What do you guys think I should do? Still need to dryhop for a week and then plan to bottle the batch into 22oz bombers. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #234
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dry hop and bottle it. Two weeks at same gravity it's done. Maybe check thermometer calibration before next mash.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #235
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 512

I brewed this, and thoroughly enjoy it! I did a Partial Mash, for my first time, and it came out great. My starter blew off, and I lost some WLP007 yeast, which is one reason why I believe the F.G. finished only at 1.019. Since then, I've kegged it up, and received multiple compliments on the awesome flavor. I plan to rebrew as soon as I can get more Citra and Amarillo.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #236
TorribleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey,

I want to say thanks again for the recipe. I emailed Matt at FSW to ask for clarification on a few things as well as to ask about using more Rye for the contest I mentioned before. Here is the recipe I emailed Matt:

Wookey Walker Clone Recipe

Estimated Original Gravity: 20 Plato (?)
Estimated Final Gravity: 4.5 Plato (?)
Estimated Color: 45 SRM
Estimated Bitterness: 80 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.3 %

Mash @ 145 for 60 min
Increase to 155 for 10 min
Boil Time: 90 min

Malt Bill - ?
81.1% Pale Malt
9.9% Rye Malt
3.0% Cara-Rye
3.0 % Special Carafa III
3.0 % Wheat (Midnight)

Hop Bill - ?
90 min - 20.0 IBU Magnum
25 min - 24.8 IBU Citra
25 min - 17.0 IBU Amarillo Gold
Flame out/whirlpool - 10 IBU Amarillo Gold
Flame out/whirlpool - 10 IBU Citra
Dry Hop #1 - 50/50 Amarillo Gold and Citra - 3 days (remove hops and yeast)
Dry Hop #2 - 50/50 Amarillo Gold and Citra - 4 days

Appropriate pitch of an English Ale yeast strain @ 17C
Free rise to 19C for fermentation after first 24hrs
Free rise for diacetyl rest to no more than 21C after fermentation is complete

Here was Matt's response:
"James
For the most part the recipe looks good – a few details to change…
-We start at 18P (not 1.080)and end at about 3.0P (well below 1.015-1.018)
-We use all Citra and Amarillo through out the brew with a large whirl pool addition (no magnum). I would back out some of the middle additions to allow for a nice big 50/50 Amarillo Citra whirl pool hit.
-You could add more rye if you like, we haven't gone there so I don't really have much to advice to give. We have never done a beta G rest on this beer but it might help if you are having run off issues.
-No Oak

Hope this helps
Matt"

The higher OG you guys are starting with could be a reason you are having a hard time getting down to the proper finishing gravities. Also, it seems FSW begins there fermentations at 62F and allows them to free rise to 66-67F after 24 hours of pitching yeast before doing a diacetyl rest in the lower 70s (69F -72F) when fermentation is complete.

I adjusted the recipe accordingly for my brew day last Thursday. OG - 1.071 and currently sitting at 1.012. I am beginning my dry hop regimen and diacetyl rest tonight when I get home.

However, if you are pleased with your results, there is no reason to change anything. I just wanted to fill you in on some of the information I got and hope that it can possibly help someone else.

Salut,
James

brewmaster_bates Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #237
AnthonyCB
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenor View Post
Hi,
-We use all Citra and Amarillo through out the brew with a large whirl pool addition (no magnum). I would back out some of the middle additions to allow for a nice big 50/50 Amarillo Citra whirl pool hit.
This one is interesting as a home brewer. On a big commercial system, whirlpooling occurs at near boiling temps over a long period of time due to the time it takes to get all the wort through the chiller and into the fermenter. I think that Matt has previously said that he gets 15% utilization from his whirlpool additions vs 30% for 60+ minute additions. In Beersmith this means that pro whirlpool additions get about the same utilization as a 17 minute addition would on one of our systems. The big difference is the bubbles from the boil are driving off the oils. I wonder whether a longer simmer would more closely approximate the professional result.

-Anthony

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #238
TorribleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCB View Post
This one is interesting as a home brewer. On a big commercial system, whirlpooling occurs at near boiling temps over a long period of time due to the time it takes to get all the wort through the chiller and into the fermenter. I wonder whether a longer simmer would more closely approximate the professional result.

-Anthony
Hey Anthony,

You bring up a good point and one that Tasty and Jamil discuss on this podcast about 3/4 the way through. They mention how as a homebrewer, if you cut the flame, stir the hops in, and let them steep with the boil pot covered, then you can emulate what the pros (in this case FSW) are doing with their whirlpool. They noted that you would not loose enough temp to stop isomerization of the whirlpool hops during a 30 min flame-out steep.

Salut,
James

Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #239
Facinerous
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I happen to live in the area of the brewery and also happen to know a few of the brewers. Next time I see em I willask for some of the specifics.

We learn best from our failures, not our successes.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #240
samandbekah
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What a fantastic brewery and brewers at FSW...

This is an excellent beer and thanks to Matt and everyone here for researching this recipe. It is fantastic having 5 gallons of Wookey Jack on tap in the man cave...

KEGGED + on Tap!: Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone, Boeheimian Ryesody
Kegged + waiting to be tapped: Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone
Primary: Bekah's Pale Ale
Secondary:
On Deck: ???

Quick Reply