LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fining question

I've finished a batch of EW Apfelwein using Red Star Champagne yeast. It's been in primary for a month and it is clear as a bell with a super-thin layer of trub on the bottom. It still has a noticed yeast taste and I want that gone so I've been doing some research on fining agents.

I am now more confused than when I started. My first thought was to use gelatin, but that seems to be for tannins and proteins and not for yeast drop-out. Then I heard egg whites were great for yeast drop-out and others said eggs won't do anything for yeast. I've recently flirted with the idea of Isinglass as a perfect solution but some have said that it does practically nothing unless you cold crash your beer which I can't do (as I live in Florida and have no available fridge space).

So bottom line. Pretend you had a product you were psyched about that was crystal clear but still retained a heavy yeast taste, indicating many yeast particles floating around unseen. How would you get rid of them quickly?

Thanks for all your help.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you by any chance have the ability to cold crash the Apfelwine? I have heard that cold crashing your batch will allow for the yeasties to fall out of suspension quite quickly. Give it a good 2-3 days in there and you should be much better. Seeing that you're in Orlando though, you may not have the capabilities to drop the temp like we do here in Cleveland, Ohio!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Correct, gelatin won't help promote yeast settling. However, polycar and isinglass are both excellent yeast fining agents. Cold crashing (most common method) works well too but is slower.

The best method for separating suspended yeast from beer is a centrifuge. If only...

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Last edited by lamarguy; 03-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

The best cure for yeasty taste is time. Another month would be a big improvement. I don't know of any quicker way that would give good results. One month just isn't really long enough to get rid of the yeasty taste.

Quick Reply