Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Finding the IBU's of any herb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Lanfox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finding the IBU's of any herb

Ive been searching around for a few hours and haven't found anything on the subject so now I'm asking. How can I find the IBU rating on any herb? Normally I use damiana as a bittering herb, but to make different brews I would like to now how much it bitters.

Primary: Not so Simple Cider
Cellared: Mead
Keg: Not so Simple Cider
Planning: Simpler cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

IBUs are based on the alpha acid bittering compounds in hops. While other botanicals may provide bittering of some sort I don't think it is going to translate or cross reference to what humulus lupus does to beer.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
IBUs are based on the alpha acid bittering compounds in hops.
And the oxidized beta acids, and (at much smaller levels) other compounds.

Quote:
While other botanicals may provide bittering of some sort I don't think it is going to translate or cross reference to what humulus lupus does to beer.
I agree. IBU estimation is kind of a black art anyway, even when limited to hops that have known, measured levels of alpha/beta acids--heck, most of the formulas used by home brewers to estimate IBUs completely ignore beta acids even though those are certainly part of true measured IBUs.

Even measured IBUs don't capture anywhere near all bittering compounds, and I'd expect that most botanicals that provide bittering aren't contributing true IBUs even when they are providing a similar impact on flavor.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply