The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Finally Brewing a Biere de Garde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Finally Brewing a Biere de Garde

Biere de Garde(BdG)

11 lbs Pils
3 lbs Munich
.75 lbs CaraVienne
.0625 lbs Black Patent

1.5 Oz Fuggles @ 60 minutes
Orange Peel, Lemongrass, and GOP @ 15 minutes(small amount)

Primary Yeast: Wyeast Bohemian Lager at low ale temps
Secondary Yeast: Brett(not sure which yet)

Mash @ 147F
OG: ~1.075

Jamil's grain/hop bill for a BdG, Mike T's yeast and fermentation temp choices for his BdG, New Belgium's spice and Brett addition for their BdG(sorta). I really like the taste of Mike's where he used the equivalent lager strain from whitelabs for his Biere de Garde. My plan is to mash low and ramp up the temp(not to the eighties though) to get a dry beer, and then add the Brett at bottling if the FG is low enough.

What do you guys think? The spices and Brett are just to make it a bit more 'interesting', and will hopefully be very restrained.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think it sounds very interesting.

Now that Iahve my third lager in primary I am sampling commercial ales again, and widening my Belgian horizons.

Would this qualify as a sort of beginner level Belgian recipe? I think it sounds yummy.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
Would this qualify as a sort of beginner level Belgian recipe? I think it sounds yummy.
Its not a typical belgian style, and may even be more french, but in any case it is more like a lager than anything else to me. Just listening to Jamil's podcast the other day it means something like "beer to guard" and should be lagered for a while, etc. The Brett may or may not be historical, but its definitely not the style today. Because maltiness and sweetness do not always go hand in hand, I'm hoping my end result will be malty but very dry from the Brett. I'd say brew whatever you want, don't be shy to try stuff even if you think its beyond your skill level. I'm not sure how this one will turn out, but Jamil's recipe is proven if you want to go with his. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Hmm, I'm going to have to listen to that podcast again. This recipe calls for a lager yeast to be ramped up through high ale temps? That's interesting. When you talk about lagering it, are you going to let it ramp up, then do a true, cold lagering?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Hmm, I'm going to have to listen to that podcast again. This recipe calls for a lager yeast to be ramped up through high ale temps? That's interesting. When you talk about lagering it, are you going to let it ramp up, then do a true, cold lagering?
No, the podcast doesn't call for a lager yeast, Jamil likes the euro ale. The lager yeast idea from my friend Mike is from Farmhouse Ales, where they recommend(paraphrase) an ale yeast at colder temps, or a lager yeast at low ale temps. I think the 'lagering' process is similar to 'true' lagering where you're aging for an extended period at cold temps. If you look at my original(I realize its not the clearest) post, the grain/hop bill is from Jamil, but the yeast and procedure is from Mike. My plan is to lager in the bottle, I believe on the podcast he recommends bottling and then aging the beer.

Last edited by landhoney; 04-10-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

How high would you increase the temperature during the "ramp up" phase?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
How high would you increase the temperature during the "ramp up" phase?
The low 70's, up from 66-68F which will be held for the first couple days. Not exactly sure, I need to ask Mike about this and if he thinks it necessary.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Looks like a cool recipe, can't say I have ever heard of the style. Also Just saw you where going to bottle with brett, I was asking about this the other day. I read an article from a brew at orval talking about this is how a lot of Belgians used to be bottled. How low of a FG do you shoot for to do this?

Last edited by Ryanh1801; 04-10-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
How low of a FG do you shoot for to do this?
I wouldn't do it above 1.009. I've only done it once with a saison that was somewhere 1.007-1.009 before adding Brett at bottling. I think unless they are opened right out of the fridge and then allowed to warm up, they will gush a bit. In other words, they're a bit overcarbed, but seem to be steady/safe now. They're very dry, sause compared them to Orval, so the gravity has definitely dropped quite a bit.

Last edited by landhoney; 04-10-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

ahh ok cool, I figured it would need to be even lower than that.. So im guessing for these you use 750 bottles only? Im gonna do a trippel and a saison with this method.

Quick Reply