New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fiddle Barn Stout loosely based on Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
FiddleTilDeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Fiddle Barn Stout loosely based on Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout

I tried the Wrasslers XXXX Stout at the Porterhouse brewpup in dublin and loved it. I thought it was a truly delicious stout, and when I found a bottle in Boston with the ingredients listed, (what kind of hops etc), I bought it and now this is my recipe based on that beer. I had no idea what their quantities or hop additions were, but I used their ingredients as a stepping stool to figuring out how to make a substantial stout with appropriate and plentiful hops. I have the finished product on tap now and this is an instant classic that I will be making again for sure. The original stout didn't include saaz, but I had some extra sitting around which fits into my basic mantra of more hops! Despite the ridiculous hop addition the beer is in no way overly bitter or hoppy. To my taste, its a pretty balanced stout. dark roasted malt is definitely the centerpiece but with enough hops to back it up. It's very thick and with big mouthfeel but isn't in any way syrupy. This beer came out exactly/better than I was hoping for.

Fiddle Barn Stout
6 lbs Dark LME (northern brewer)
3.15 lbs Dark LME
1 lb Simpsons Roasted Barley Steeped
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Hop Schedule
1 oz Galena 60 min
1 oz Nugget 50 min
1 oz EKG 45 min
1 oz Galena 30 min
1 oz Nugget 25 min
1 oz EKG 15 min
1 oz Saaz 5 min

Kegerator: Summer, Cider, Saaz Who

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
GuldTuborg

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 160

There must be a new distribution line, as I just saw this in my area for the first time about a week ago. Though it was a bit pricey, I picked up a few bottles out of curiosity. Good lord man, this is hands down the best dry stout I've ever had. Most of them I don't like, but this one was love at first sip. I was glad to see the ingredients listed on the bottle, too.

So have you brewed this yet? If you have, did the proportions seem right? How did it come out? Any idea what the ratios of dark and/or crystal grains are in the extract?

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
FiddleTilDeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is a higher gravity recipe than the original beer, but that was my intent. I'm ultra happy with how it tastes, but I haven't compared it to the original. If you look at my first paragraph, all your questions are answered in it.

And yes, Wrasslers is SO SO SO SO GOOD. MMMMMMMMM that's why this beer is now on tap on my kegerator whoooo!!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
metalpysko
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I actually saw this beer on the food network

Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Brad1775
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this. I.... can't wait. Wait, yes I can. but only because it has all the goodness, and as you say, more is better. more waiting, better.

Over Inflated Rubber Thingy 1/20/11, Fiddle Barn Stout medium american oaked bourbon, 7/20/11, Pumpkin porter 12/17/11, KIPA: Oaked IIPA, ~1/2/2011 (started ~10/2/11), 1/27/12 6% abv sort of Hoegarden clone,

Old 07-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
beergolf

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I just returned from Ireland. I did spend a couple of nights in Porterhouse. They make some very good brews. Their Oyster Stout is also very good.

Fun place and good beer.. yum.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
Brad1775
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

oyster eh??? I was considering putting Worcestershire sauce (anchovies taste intended) in a brew, obviously I have NOT done that yet... but I am intrigued. Can you describe that brew a little more?

Over Inflated Rubber Thingy 1/20/11, Fiddle Barn Stout medium american oaked bourbon, 7/20/11, Pumpkin porter 12/17/11, KIPA: Oaked IIPA, ~1/2/2011 (started ~10/2/11), 1/27/12 6% abv sort of Hoegarden clone,

Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Taffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From their webpage:
Grain: Pale Malt, Roast Barley, Black Malt, Flaked Barley.
Hops: Galena, Nugget, East Kent Goldings.

Brewed with fresh oyster. A smooth drinking aromatic stout with a discernible but unidentifiable aromatic aspect. Not suitable for vegetarians.

It is a fine stout. Lucky to have it on tap in my local pub.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
NochEineMassBitte
G'suffa!

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Well, I just got back from a trip to Ireland and managed to visit the Porterhouse no fewer than three times in the four days I was in Dublin. Wrasslers XXXX was quite possibly the most thoroughly enjoyable stout that's ever washed down my gullet. Thick, rich, roasty, and bitter. Like drinking a 90% cocoa chocolate bar.

Fiddle, once the weather cools off a bit, I'm planning to brew up an all grain version of your recipe. Now that you've brewed it a few times, would you make any changes or is your original still treating you well?

I'm pretty astonished at the hop schedule. Me likey.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
FiddleTilDeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Noch - I do love my hops! I think I'll keep it the sameish, but I might throw in 1 more oz of hops on the < 3 min side of things.

Quick Reply