Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > fermenting HOT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
slim chillingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default fermenting HOT

although i've seen this topic touched on in a few threads, i couldn't find anyone who has reported back with their experiences.

i'm going to brew a saison dupont clone tomorrow, and i want to try the dupont brewery's fermentation methods of 3 days at around 90 degrees. i have a space heater and an extra bedroom. i'm using recultured yeast from a bottle of saison dupont.

has anyone here had success with fermenting this hot? any tips/tricks/advice?

thanks!

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You're going to ramp up to that temperature correct? I would not start there, but after 24 hours - 48 hours of visible fermentation raise the temp. I've only had one saison possibly get that hot, when I placed the wrapped carboy next to a space heater, but I can't say for sure if it got into the 90F's. I think you could raise the temp into the 80's and as long as you don't see fermentation slow, then keep going to 90. If it starts to slow it may be too hot, Jamil commented on this on the Saison show when he reached 90 - that the yeast actually slowed down because it was too hot.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You might try getting a cheap aquarium heater and mounting it to the inside of a igloo ice box cooler and keeping the water at the temp you want, then just put a small aquarium pump in there to circulate the water so it distributes the heat evenly.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you sure about starting low? I read this somewhere else:

Quote:
If you cannot run your ferment at 90 with the Dupont strain, then plan on a very long and drawn out primary (weeks to a couple of months). If you can ferment at 90, then it will finish (and finish very complete) within days. A 75 degree F ferment could take a couple of months.

The key is to ferment at 90 from the start. Starting cool and then having to heat the brew later on to keep the ferment from slowing can have adverse effects on the beer. Prolonged fermentation at high temps can lead to oxidation and off flavors.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim chillingsworth
Are you sure about starting low? I read this somewhere else:
Go with Jess, she Rockxorz! I'd go with her over Jamil anyday. I think they mention in Farmhouse Ales that the Dupont strian may be a 'mutanized' version of a red wine yeast, thus the ability to ferment warm without producing a lot of fusel alcohols....seem to remember something like that. I know myself, and a lot of others use the ramp up method, I wait ~24 hours at 68F and then ~12 hours at 70's then into 80s+, but I always go with what Jess tells me. Try it out and let us know how it works.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Interesting stuff. I had hell with the saison yeast. I would be interested to see if starting hot helps with attenuation. Please keep this updated on how this works out.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed relatively smoothly, chilled to 95 to a corrected OG of 1.063 (target was 1.060). i got the heater to a nice balance that has been holding at 95 all day and i just dropped the carboy in there with a sweater on. will return with updates.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim chillingsworth
brewed relatively smoothly, chilled to 95 to a corrected OG of 1.063 (target was 1.060). i got the heater to a nice balance that has been holding at 95 all day and i just dropped the carboy in there with a sweater on. will return with updates.
Awesome, it will be great to knock Jamil down a few notches. Seriously though, he can't be right all the time( I hope). I hope it goes well and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #9
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, a slow start is out of the question. 3 hours in and i have an inch and a half of krausen, steady bubbles, and yeast dancing happily.

we'll see what comes of it. i've been reading up a bit and it looks like the best course of action is to leave it hot until it drops under 1.010 and then transfer to either 75 degrees for a couple of weeks or cold condition around 40.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

slim please keep us updated.

Quick Reply