Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fermcap-S...what did I do wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fermcap-S...what did I do wrong?

Alright, this is my first time using fermcap-S and I still woke up this morning to a mess of krausen coming out of my airlock. The instructions on the bottle said to add at the beginning of fermentation. I know many of you add it for foam control during the boil, but I added it at the beginning of fermentation. 10 drops, 2 per gallon just like the instructions said. It just kind of sat there on the surface and I figured it would eventually get mixed around and do its job. Then the foam started creeping up the neck and I decided to add 10 more drops. It took down the foam that it was sitting on, but hasn't been heard from since. WTF?

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It needs a good shake/stir after adding to mix it in. It doesn't totally kill the krausen, it just knocks it down pretty good. On beer styles prone to lots of foaming you still may need a blow off.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So I shouldn't have used it in my Hefe, airlocked it, then set the carboy on the dining room table covered in my wifes only cashmere sweater to block the sunlight?

Seriously though, I tried both fermcap s and the generic foam control drops, in the boil before and never really noticed a substantial difference in terms of reducing boil over (7 gallon boil in a 9 gallon pot). I think I either did it wrong, or since I know both had "use within x months" stickers on them they must have gone bad somehow...

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't really measure mine out when I use it. I just put a blop in my boil, then watch. If I get some significant foaming I hit it again. Usually two blops is all I need.

I only used it once in a fermenter, I used around the prescribed amount and still got about an inch of krausen... Maybe just add some more???

Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
tekhna
Recipes 

Ignorant question here, but don't you want the krausen extant and oozing out of a blowoff tube? I would think this would be a good place to get some gunk and impurities out, unless it all comes out in the racking to secondary anyways.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
Ignorant question here, but don't you want the krausen extant and oozing out of a blowoff tube? I would think this would be a good place to get some gunk and impurities out, unless it all comes out in the racking to secondary anyways.
You actually want to keep it in. First, that is the most active yeast that is doing the fermentation. If it is getting lost, it could lead to attenuation issues if your blow off is big enough and you lose too much. If you harvest yeast from a cake post-fermentation, this could also be selective mutation since all that highly active and attenuating yeast is lost. Second, all of that krausen is mostly protein coagulation, if lost to a blow off, it may reduce your head retention since it is not being reincorporated into the beer. It is not going to cause haze issues if given proper time to be solublized and such.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I don't really measure mine out when I use it. I just put a blop in my boil, then watch. If I get some significant foaming I hit it again. Usually two blops is all I need.

I only used it once in a fermenter, I used around the prescribed amount and still got about an inch of krausen... Maybe just add some more???
An inch is about right. Maybe a bit more added would have made a difference for the OP. I can fill my 5 gal. carboys to within 2" of the neck and not get a blow off even with a vigorous fermentation. I actually have a batch going now that was filled to the neck after adding my starter and I only lost about 2 cups of beer.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got some from one of the local breweries here. How much is the recommended amount? I read a few drops, but we adjusted what he uses on a 5bbl batch. Going with a 3:1 ratio and 1ml into the wort and maybe same into fermenter.

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Quick Reply