Feels like there is something missing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been playing around with the bits and pieces i have left and have come up with a recipe.

But there seems to be something missing from the hop schedule.

I am thinking that it is because i am only using the one variety.

here are the details and my comments:-

4.95 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.0 EBC) Grain 97.06 %
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 2.94 %
75.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (90 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
20.00 gm Challenger [6.40 %] (10 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger [6.40 %] (0 min) Hops -

This should result in somewhere around:-

Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.40 %
Bitterness: 36.6 IBU
Est Color: 10.3 EBC

But there is something missing. I am thinking of adding something like 15-20 grams BOBEK with 2 mins to go, or maybe at the same time as the last Challenger.

It will alter the profile slightly but bobek is a cracking hop and will add a little kick. Was thinking of using either something like London Ale yeast or simple S-04

thoughts please?

You might try first wort and dry hopping if you are looking for more hop character in your beer.
You might also consider adding another malt to the grain bill. While there is nothing wrong with 97% pale malt, the resulting beer can taste a bit one-dimensional if you don't hit the right balance. Throwing a few percent of Vienna or another crystal malt in there gives the hops a little more backbone to play against. If you do that, it's a good idea to boost the late hop additions a little (or go with first wort or dry hopping, as I mentioned).

You might consider 20 min. for the BOBEK. With a simple grain bill like that, I'd go with the London Ale yeast, S-04 would be too dry.

Back