Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Feeding the bugs (Roeselare)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Seawolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Feeding the bugs (Roeselare)

I just reread the recipe for Flanders Red in "Brewing Classic Styles", and it mentions that you shouldn't make the beer too big, or the alcohol will ward off the Brett.

If this is the case, and I'm sure it is, should I keep a close eye on my gravity, and pitch my Roeselare before I see too much attenuation? I was hoping to let the primary finish out, rack to my secondary(5 gallon carboy), then pitch the bugs. I really don't want the bugs in my bucket fermentor. My S.G. is 63, and I used Safale US-05. I overshot my target gravity by a few points, and I'd like to fix any errors that I can before I age this beer for over a year!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Cheers,
Zach

Primary - Bluebird Bitter, Negra Modelo
Secondary - Flanders Red
Drinking - Independence Pale Ale V1.0, Trappist Style Dubbel, Dunkelweizen, Saison, Fat Tire, SNPA
Conditioning - Chimay Red, Imperial American Pale Ale, Independence Pale Ale V2.0, Belgian Wit
Kegged - Bluebird Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought in a red the bugs went in for the whole ride, as opposed to a brown where they went in towards the end so it wasn't entirely sour?

Old 07-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You weren't too far off. The bugs really don't start to get inhibited by the alcohol until around 8%. I don't think you will make it up that high.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're really concerned about it, you could always water it down with a bit of boiled/cooled water. Since there's almost no hop bitterness to begin with, it couldn't hurt it to water it down a little bit. But that's your call. I think you'll be okay.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
Seawolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
If you're really concerned about it, you could always water it down with a bit of boiled/cooled water. Since there's almost no hop bitterness to begin with, it couldn't hurt it to water it down a little bit. But that's your call. I think you'll be okay.
Well, I ended up with about 4-1/2 gallons after racking. I've been sitting at 1.017 for four days, and decided I've got a stuck fermentation. Racked to secondary, added bugs, and an airlock. After fermentation finishes up, I'll insert the oak peg into the carboy and let 'er rip for about a year. Can't wait to try this one!

Primary - Bluebird Bitter, Negra Modelo
Secondary - Flanders Red
Drinking - Independence Pale Ale V1.0, Trappist Style Dubbel, Dunkelweizen, Saison, Fat Tire, SNPA
Conditioning - Chimay Red, Imperial American Pale Ale, Independence Pale Ale V2.0, Belgian Wit
Kegged - Bluebird Bitter

Quick Reply