New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Feedback on Stout recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Feedback on Stout recipe

Just getting around to posting a recipe I drew up a while back.

What do y'all think?

Style: Imperial Stout
Type: All Grain
Calories: 283
OG:1.086
FG: 1.021
ABV: 8.51%
IBU's: 74
SRM:44

Batch Size: 5.25 gallons

Fermentables

2-Row Pale Malt- 16 lbs.-87.7%
Chocolate Malt- 1 lb.- 5.5%
Roasted Barley- .75 lb. - 4.1%
Special B- .5 lb. - 2.8%

Hops:
Nugget 13%- 70 min
EKG 5 %- 20 min

Yeast

Either Nottingham, Windsor or WLP 002

I was thinking about adding some crystal 20 or 60 and some crystal. I want the stout to be big roast and complex.

What say ye?

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Looks pretty good, but I say BIGGER! Why not shoot for 1.10, you're so close now? Add a couple of lbs of DME or LME to get you there if your mash tun is full. Might as well go Maris Otter for the base (if you weren't already). If you want big roast, I would swap your chocolate and Roasted Barley weights around.

You can also get away with quite a bit in an RIS. I threw a lil of everything in mine (8 oz oats, 6 oz of C80, 1 oz of coarse ground coffee in secondary for 24 hrs, 1.5 oz of US med oak/3 oz scotch). Damn if it didn't blend into a tasty treat about 10 months from brew date.

Also I would not go Windsor, it will poop out too early. Something that attenuates well with high alcohol tolerance. You'll have a lot of unfermentables in there. I would pitch onto a previous cake, or pitch a massive starter.

If you do go bigger, adding another oz of Nugget as FWH will help balance out the massive malt bill. I was initially worried mine was too bitter (90 IBU), but it seems just right now.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cool thanks for the feedback! I'm gonna bump it up a little with some crystal but I don't want to set my yeast up for failure by getting that high of an O.G. I don't have an aeration system beside shaking and I wanna get it below 1.03.

Any other suggestions?

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you want good attenuation and a higher OG, I suggest adding some dark brown sugar, it will almost completely ferment and add an extra layer of complexity from the molasses.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The grain bill looks fine, unless you wanted to go bigger. MO is a fine base malt, but I would save it for a lighter style where its contributions won't be obscured. If you want heavy on the roast, you might throw in some black patent. Another option is to use a lighter roasted grain like victory, amber or brown malt (you can do those in your oven if you want). Some flaked grain will increase mouthfeel, if that's what you want.

I might skip the 20 minute hop addition; most of the flavor will dissipate during the long aging. But the extra tannins you get from low-alpha hops will provide a longer-lasting bitterness than the IBUs from high-alpha hops, so bittering with EKG is a viable option. I'd use WLP002 as your initial yeast, then add the nottingham when the 002 slows down. You'll get the flavor complexity of 002 and the attenuation of nottingham.

Or you could just brew the best stout I've ever had: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ca/2012/02/lets-brew-wednesday-1914-courage.html

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok here is what I ended up with. Still looking for any feed back and thanks for everyones help so far.

OG: 1.100
FG: 1.024
ABV:9.69%
IBU:91

Grain:
2-row-18lb 84.7%
Chocolate Malt- 1 lb- 4.7%
Roasted Barley- .75 lb- 3.5%
Special B- .5 lb- 2.35%
Crystal 60- .25lb- 1.2%
Black Patent-.75lb-3.5%

Hops:
Nugget 13% 2 oz. at 60 min.
Nugget 13% 1 oz. at 40 min.
EKG 5% 1 oz. at 20 min.

~Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll go ahead and bump this just to see

~Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
devils4ever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Tweak my Dry Stout recipe

deleted post-- wanted to start a new thread

"Hush little brewski don't you leak, daddy wants to drink for at least a week." -- Bender of Futurama

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela

Quick Reply