Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fat Head's Hop Juju Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Fat Head's Hop Juju Clone

A month ago I emailed Fat Head's requesting more info on their Imperial IPA, Hop Juju, and have not received a response. My friends and I first tried it at GABF last year and fell in love with it... I see that they have some info on their site at http://fatheadsbrewing.com/hop_juju.php (damn link wouldn't show up with parsing) that I can use for reference, but before starting from scratch was hoping that someone could shed some light on a possible clone for me. I would love to brew this beer for my birthday at the end of next month, so any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm thinking you'll probably need to start from scratch & see what you come up with. I'm from Cleveland & have searched all over for clones for any Fat Head's beers & haven't come up with anything so far. I think they're such a new brewery that they don't really have a huge following outside of ohio yet...thus, not many people attempting to clone their beer.

They're tapping another batch within the next few weeks. Usually their beer descriptions on the menu give more information than anything on their website. I'll post an update whenever they tap it if there's better information provided. I know with the Head Hunter IPA they at least give you the hops they use on the menu description.

Also FYI, I think the emails go directly to the restaurant manager, so I don't know if Matt Cole, the head brewer, gets them. I've talked to him a bunch of times & he seems like a really personable, helpful guy. He gave me the low down on some of the grains & hops they used in their Black Rye IPA they brewed last year with Mitch Steele of Stone.

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Found the hops for Head Hunter: "Savage amounts of Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade hops define this brews signature pine and citrus notes."

Any chance that Juju is just a scaled up version? For mimicking an IPA getting the hops right is the most important part. I haven’t had either, they’d just run out of Head Hunter when I visited the one in Pittsburgh this summer. Often the brewer's email is just first name at whatever the brewery domain is, might be worth a shot...

The malt bill shouldn’t be too hard to guess, probably mostly pale, with a bit (~4%?) of medium crystal malt (“Nicely balanced by a very sturdy malt backbone.”). Mash ~150, aiming for an OG ~1.082. A bit of gypsum in your water wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring your sulfate levels up to ~150 ppm. Usually I’d add some sugar to an IPA that big, but it sounds a bit sweeter than the West coast representatives of the style.

I’d bitter with ~3-4 oz of Columbus near the start of the boil, and then add ~2 oz of each hop at the end of the boil. Ferment with a clean American ale yeast. Once it is done (FG probably around 1.016) dry hop it with 1 oz of each of the hops, remove and repeat with another oz of each for a week before bottling (or better yet in the keg if you keg).

Hope that gives you a general direction, good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Found the hops for Head Hunter: "Savage amounts of Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade hops define this brews signature pine and citrus notes."

Any chance that Juju is just a scaled up version? For mimicking an IPA getting the hops right is the most important part. I haven’t had either, they’d just run out of Head Hunter when I visited the one in Pittsburgh this summer. Often the brewer's email is just first name at whatever the brewery domain is, might be worth a shot...

The malt bill shouldn’t be too hard to guess, probably mostly pale, with a bit (~4%?) of medium crystal malt (“Nicely balanced by a very sturdy malt backbone.”). Mash ~150, aiming for an OG ~1.082. A bit of gypsum in your water wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring your sulfate levels up to ~150 ppm. Usually I’d add some sugar to an IPA that big, but it sounds a bit sweeter than the West coast representatives of the style.

I’d bitter with ~3-4 oz of Columbus near the start of the boil, and then add ~2 oz of each hop at the end of the boil. Ferment with a clean American ale yeast. Once it is done (FG probably around 1.016) dry hop it with 1 oz of each of the hops, remove and repeat with another oz of each for a week before bottling (or better yet in the keg if you keg).

Hope that gives you a general direction, good luck.
I've always described the JuJu as Head Hunter on steroids, but according to the Fat Head's email list I'm subscribed to, they are coming out with an Imperial Head Hunter soon. This leads me to believe there are significant differences between the JuJu & Head Hunter ingredients, probably in the hops used. Now, the Imperial Head Hunter will be the scaled up version.

Like you said, I'm guessing they use either Columbus or Simcoe for bitterness early in the boil. It has some piney aroma, so maybe some late Amarillo or Chinook additions, as well as for dry-hopping.

I currently have an IPA in my primary. My goal was to somewhat create the hop flavor & aroma of the JuJu, just at a slightly lower ABV of 7.6% so I could drink more of it at one sitting. I'll post the results. It's got one more week in the primary & two in the secondary, dry-hopping for the last 7 days. I used Simcoe for bittering, Centennial & Amarillo for flavoring, & mostly chinook for aroma. I'm going for a citrusy flavor with a piney aroma (85 IBUs).
Secondary 1
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 01-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

I got a brief chance to talk to Matt at a Columbus brew fest I was at over the weekend. He said the hop schedule is completely different for the JuJu. He also said he uses tons of Cascade & Chinook hops.

That's really all I got out of him since their booth was the only one with a line & he was pouring.

Secondary 1

Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys; I really appreciate your time and assitance... It's helpful that you are in Ohio and the notes on the hops really help. I will give it one more chance to try and email him directly and see if he can give me a better idea on the grain bill. But, for now this is a good start. I will start working on a recipe and post for your opinion.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All right... Here's what I'm thinking for a Partial Mash recipe, based on my calcs:

60 min boil; 5 gallon batch
OG - 1.088
FG - 1.021
ABV - 9.1%
96 IBU's

2lb 2 Row Malt
10lb 4 oz Light LME (1/2 at start and 1/2 at end of boil)
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Carapils

2 oz Chinook @ 60
2 oz Chinook @ 45
1 oz Cascade @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 15

Dry-hop with 1 oz Cascade & 1 oz of Chinook and depending on the flavors and aroma, maybe add an ounce of each into the keg for dispensing.

2 packs of US-05 yeast of course.

Any thoughts or critique? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I'd add more hops. Say 1-2 oz of each at flameout and double the dry hop addition. I personally skip the mid-boil additions in IPAs since the early/late additions give more hop bang for your buck.

Malt looks fine, although I would sub in 1 lb of sugar for some of the LME to ensure good fermentability (although the US-05 will help since it is more attenuative than 001/1056).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Aroma is a key element of the JuJu, so I agree you should add more hops at flameout & for dry-hopping. I would stick to a 60 minute addition & everything else within the last 20 minutes or so. Also as a side note, for my IPA I have in the primary now, I let my flameout hops sit in the kettle for 30 minutes as it was sitting in the ice bath & I have a nice, piney aroma already. I think I read somewhere that Mitch Steele of Stone suggested this method.

The thing I remember liking most about the JuJu aside from the aroma was the way the hop flavors meshed with the sweet malt backbone of the beer. It's not an overly bitter beer, so be careful with the early hop additions. I've never used Chinook for bittering, so I can't give any advice there. Maybe someone else can. I used 1 oz Simcoe at 60 minutes for my IPA currently at 7.3% ABV & it's got a bitter kick to it, which I'm hoping will slightly fade in time so the other hop flavors can come thru a bit more.

Secondary 1

Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok. I have sub'd 1lb corn sugar for some of the LME, but am confused with the hops now... I am running this recipe in BeerAlchemy and if I eliminate the 2 oz of hops at 45 min, I'm down into the 54 IBU range, so would need to increase my 60 min addition to almost 4 oz to make it up, especially with the elimination of the 30 min addition. I was also thinking of addiing some amarillo to get some more grapefruit notes as well. As you could see on the Fat Head's site, they listed it as 100 IBU's which is why I am trying to match that. Here's where I'm at now, with the 45 min addition:

60 min boil; 5 gallon batch
OG - 1.083
FG - 1.015
ABV - 9.0%
96 IBU's

2lb 2 Row Malt
8lb 4 oz Light LME (1/2 at start and 1/2 at end of boil)
1lb corn sugar
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Carapils

2 oz Chinook @ 60
1.5 oz Chinook @ 45
1 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Chinook @ flameout
1 oz Cascade @ flameot
2 oz Cascade dryhopped
2 oz Chinook dryhopped

I have seen a lot of recipes with some wheat added. Is that just for smoothness and mouthfeel or another reason? Thanks!

Quick Reply