Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fat Heads Head Hunter Clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Fritztheelephant
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Fat Heads Head Hunter Clone?

Just wondering if anyone has attempted a clone of this yet? I had it this summer and was really impressed. Here's the description from the their Facebook page:

An Uncivilized and aggressive, dry-hopped west coast IPA. A huge dank hop infused nose of pine and citrus. Big hop flavors of citrus, pine, grapefruit and pineapple. A creamy mouthfeel and a good malt backbone work hard to balance the aggressive hop

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
CTownBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This is one of my favorite beers of all time. It's got the perfect amount of bitterness & amazing hop flavor. However, the best thing about it is the aroma IMO. It's so good I got a keg for my wedding reception in June!

I'd love to come up with some sort of clone, but haven't yet. I know they use Simcoe, Columbus, & Cascade hops & the IBUs come out to 87 (7.4%ABV). I'm guessing they use some early Simcoe additions for the bitterness & middle/late Cascade additions for flavor/aroma, but I'm not really sure where the Columbus fit in. It says they use "savage amounts" of hops, so that leads me to believe they have a lot of late flavor/aroma additions within the last 20 minutes or so. Dry-hopping is a must on this one as well. It's the only way you'll come close to replicating that aroma. They don't give a whole lot of info on ingredients on the website, so I think this one will be more of a trial and error approach.

The other option is to ask their head brewer Matt Cole if you're there anytime soon. I've talked with him a ton of times & he seems like a really personable guy who would help out (without physically handing you the recipe of course).

Hope this helps & keep me posted on your results if you attempt a clone. I'm brewing up an IPA tomorrow with the same ABV & IBUs, but using different hops (Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, & Chinook).

Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Fritztheelephant
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow! What did a keg set you back? Their Facebook page says they are going to start selling bottles soon. I may need to find a reason to go to Cleveland soon.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

The reception place handled actually purchasing the keg from Fat Head's, so it was grouped together with the other alcohol on the bill...not sure how much it was exactly. My Aunt ended up paying for the alcohol, so I never even saw the final bill. Obviously, she's a big Fat Head's fan too! We decided long before the wedding that there would be at least one amazing beer at my reception. I refused to drink Coors, Miller, or Bud.

I'm signed up on their email list & they are selling bottles of Head Hunter starting January 13th.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
danemerson
Recipes 

Had Head Hunter at Great Taste of the Midwest last year and it was my favorite hands down. Any word on if they will start to distribute the beer outside of the state? If not I'll drive from Chicago and purchase some.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

As of right now, you can only buy their bottled beer at either the Cleveland or Pittsburgh breweries. They've only bottled their Christmas Ale (last winter) & Head Hunter IPA (current). If you make the trip, call before you come because the supply sometimes can't keep up with the demand.

The good news is that I was talking to the brewer & they were in the process of purchasing Troegs brewery, which will increase their bottling ability. I guess Troegs is moving their operation into a larger facility.

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Enjoying a Headhunter right now. Such a fantastic IPA. Easily number two on my list of faves.

I'd love to see a clone of this considering I can't get it in California other than my wife smuggling some in luggage, lol

Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Bump. Any more ideas on this? I am making an IPA next. Not trying to clone this so much as get in the neighborhood. Ill be using different hops but would anyone care to suggest a malt bill? This one has a nice backbone. I want that. Not the super dry style IPA.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Awhile ago I came up with a recipe I wanted to try somewhat based on Head Hunter. However (can't believe I'm saying this), I'm getting a little tired of the in-your-face bitter, dank IPAs. I stocked up on Head Hunter bottles awhile back & it seems like the only IPA I've been drinking lately.

Anyway...here's the recipe I was going to try.

Recipe Specs
- 5 Gallon Batch (6 Gallon Boil)
- 70% Efficiency
- Single Infusion Mash @ 148 F for 90 min
- Batch Sparge
- Boil 60 min

Grain Bill
- 10.25 lbs 2-Row Base
- 1 lb Vienna
- .75 lb C-60
- .75 lb Carapils
- 1 lb Corn Sugar

Hop Schedule
- 60 min - 1 oz Simcoe (Pellet) & .5 oz Columbus (Pellet)
- 20 min - 1 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- 15 min - .5 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- 10 min - .75 oz Columbus (Pellet) & .25 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- 5 min - .75 oz Columbus (Pellet) & .25 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- Flame Out - 1 oz Columbus (Pellet) & 1 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- Dry Hop 12 Days - 1 oz Columbus (Whole) & 1 oz Cascade (Whole)
- Dry Hop 5 Days - 1 oz Columbus (Whole) & 1 oz Cascade (Whole)

Yeast
- White Labs 001 - California Ale
- 266 Billion Cells Required
- Ferment for 21 Days @ 68 F

As far as the recipe goes, I figure the grain bill will give me a dry, crisp IPA with a subtle malt backbone & good head retention like Head Hunter. I've used Columbus hops recently & they definitely give you that trademark dank aroma you're looking for when used late in the boil. Head Hunter has a lot of citrus & grapefruit notes that the middle addition Cascades should help with. This recipe comes out @ 7.4% ABV & 87 IBU just like Head Hunter.

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I dunno. I am just a beginner but HH has a fairly big maltiness for an IPA. I was considering mashing higher than the typical West Coast IPA.

Quick Reply