Extract IPA using simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
Anyone know of a really good extract IPA recipe using utilizing simcoe hops?

For a full volume 6 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch:

Shoot for 1.064-1.068 OG / 1.012-1.016 FG
30 days in the primary, including dryhop time
17 days bottle priming/carbing

76% Muntons Extra Light DME (half added at boil start, half added at 15 minutes left in the boil)
12% Corn Sugar (added during the last couple minutes of the boil)
8% Muntons Wheat DME (added at boil start)
4% Weyermann Carahell (cracked and steeped in 154F-ish water for 30 minutes)

(pellet hops)
25-35 IBUs at 60 min
15-20 IBUs at 30 min
Add another 2 oz. hops divvied among 15-7 minutes
Flameout with 2 oz. more hops
Dryhop for 8-10 days with 3 oz. more hops

Safale US-05 dry yeast

I recently just brewed an IPA with all simcoe and found that this hop is VERY amenable to a continual hopping method. I started 75 mins out and added 0.2 oz every 10 mins until flameout, and saved what was left for dry hop. This hop has a very dynamic flavor profile over its utilization time and its nice when you can represent all of its attributes evenly.

Thanks for the replies. This will be the first time using it and I'm excited to see what type of profile it will produce

Are you looking for an all simcoe recipe or just something that uses simcoe? It is a tasty hop all on its own but it also plays well in combination with citrus or floral hops.

I guess just something that uses it. I dont necessary want it to be only simcoe. I guess I should have clarified that. Ha ha

Back