Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Extra Special British Malt?????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Default Extra Special British Malt?????

I have the beer 365 calender that Papazian put together, and on Sundays the include a recipe (usually extract with grains.)

I was reading the one for this weekend. Marston's ESB Clone.

It's ESB Malt.

And it has a grain I've never heard of...Searching here I found it listed on one recipe, but no discussions on it.
Using the google it turns out it's NOT Extra Special Bitter Malt, like I thought but evidently Extra Special BRITISH Malt.

The scant info I can find is;

Quote:
Gambrinus Malting Corporation ESB pale malt: This "Extra Special British" pale malt is malted for brewers seeking the unique flavor imparted by well-modified British pale malt. Gambrinus modified its malting process to produce this distinct malt traditionally found only on the British Isles.
Quote:
Gambrinus "Extra Special British" pale malt has been produced for brewers seeking a domestic malt with the unique flavor imparted by British pale malt. Recommended up to 100% of grain bill. 3 - 4°L
Anyone here use it?
Does anyone know a sub for it?
Is this just another version of Marris Otter (it's got such a low lovibond, I'm wondering if it's a base malt?
I have also seen a couple papa charlie ESB recipes that he used Aromatic Malt...is THAT a sub?

The recipe looks interesting...

4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz ESB Malt
1lb Med. Crystal
7lb Light LME
1 3/4 oz EKG's @ 60
1oz EKG @ 20
1oz fuggles @ 2

English Ale Yeast.

It sounds cool...I was thinking of converting this to AG, or PM and getting rid of the LME either way.

Thanks gang!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Revvy

Recipes 

Anyone???? This thread is falling faster than the new President's approval ratings, or the dow...I know there's a lot of noob questions popping up already this morning...but can anyone help lil ole Revvy for once?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I wish I could be of more assistance, Revvy. I've never used this malt, nor do I know anyone who has.

At first blush, I can't see a distinct difference between "ESB Malt" and the Maris Otter being malted by Muntons et al., except that Gambrinus is making their malt from North American 2-row barley varieties, not true Maris Otter. In other words, Gambrinus is specifically tailoring their malting process to mimic the Mild Ale and Maris Otter pale malts coming into USA from UK maltsters.

Frankly, I don't think you'd go far amiss giving it a try. What have you got to lose?

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3117 Times on 3034 Posts
Likes Given: 161

So they are just kilning domestic 2 row to British Pale specifications?

It does say up to 100% of the grain bill Revvy. I imagine it's just a basemalt.

Biscuit or victory could be a sub.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I've never heard of Extra Special British Malt, and the ESB recipes I've seen over here have used Maris Otter as the base, plus regular grains like crystal. As other folks have said, it sounds like a slightly tweaked base malt of some kind. I've also never heard of Marstons doing an ESB, but they make some wonderful beers, so the recipe sounds well worth a go. As a slight change I'd be tempted to try using WLP-023 Burton yeast instead, as Burton is where Marstons are based, so it'd seem appropriate.

Let us know how you get on

Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds very similar to Briess Pale Ale Malt.
You could probably sub that or an English Pale malt with only minor variations.

If my LHBS stops carrying Maris Otter at reasonable prices I will probably start using Briess Pale Ale Malt as my base malt as its description sounds like it has similar characteristics but is priced more like domestic 2-row.

Craig

Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

I just noticed something...Papazian callis it Marston's ESB..but shows this label in the calendar.

If I do something I may do it with victory or biscuit....

It's not a priority to brew...I just never came upon the malt before. I just used the Gambrinus honey malt in a small batch experimental Belgian I'm playing with.

Thanks all!!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Sounds very similar to Briess Pale Ale Malt.
You could probably sub that or an English Pale malt with only minor variations.

If my LHBS stops carrying Maris Otter at reasonable prices I will probably start using Briess Pale Ale Malt as my base malt as its description sounds like it has similar characteristics but is priced more like domestic 2-row.

Craig
Craig, is there some risk that MO is gonna be in short supply or get priced jacked for some reason?? You hearing something from your lhbs?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
jharres
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

ESB Malt also goes by the name "mild" malt. I've used it as a base in a stout, a porter and am about to brew an Amber with it. It is similar to Maris Otter, just not quite as malty and is a bit crisper (sorry, that is the best descriptive terms I can come up with now).

Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer
Bottled: Beer
Drinking: Beer

Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharres View Post
ESB Malt also goes by the name "mild" malt. I've used it as a base in a stout, a porter and am about to brew an Amber with it. It is similar to Maris Otter, just not quite as malty and is a bit crisper (sorry, that is the best descriptive terms I can come up with now).
That helps a lot, because I have seen Mild malt...in fact iirc I've actually used it in a recipe once. Which means it is available locally.

I just found some more info in BYO.

Quote:
British maltsters produce mild ale malt, which has slightly more color (3° to 4° Lovibond) than ale malt (2° to 3° Lovibond), with consequently more malt flavor. However, the mild ale malt doesn’t seem to be necessary for milds. Michael Jackson lists ingredients for some classic modern milds, all of which are brewed from ale malt, with additions of crystal and chocolate or black malt. H. Lloyd Hind’s British brewing text from the 1930s mentions the use of mild ale malt but suggests blends of pale malts, including but not limited to mild malts. He also notes the use of wheat, amber, and brown malts. It’s interesting to note that Hind’s text defines milds with original gravities ranging from 1.040 to 1.045, considerably higher than modern versions.

Last edited by Revvy; 02-03-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply