Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Extra Special Bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #21
vinnythering
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

That's the thing! It's White Labs British Ale! It is clearly identified as being highly flocculent so I don't know what the deal is. I crashed before racking to secondary as well so I am at a loss. I will get picture of it up here tomorrow. I don't really care if it is cloudy, I just PREFER it to be clear, but I am really just confused with this.

Kegged: Standard Bitter Ver. 4; Random Honey Pale; Cream Ale Ver. 4
Future:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #22
SouthBay
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

weird on the cloudy thing. I have the same issue with an ESB i made a while back, in that it just wont clear. Mine is in the keg, so i can add gelatin to fix it if i'm feelin froggy, but its weird that we both had the same issue with what are normally highly flocculent yeasts.

we blessed your skin
we blessed you with our mark
become a part of the klok
become a gear

Old 08-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #23
vinnythering
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It actually looks a lot clearer than it did before now that I've taken a closer look (no pics yet... eh.). But I can only assume that maybe I fermented at too low a temperature (~67F)? Maybe it was just very sluggish and took a while to clear. But hell, it was in primary for two whole weeks and has been in secondary for a week already. From what I understand, this is not only very flocculent, but also ferments quickly which raises even more questions. I don't know... it is definitely finishing up finally so hopefully the final product turns out well.

Future:

Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #24
vinnythering
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Still a little cloudy and I didn't get anywhere near my target SG (target: 1.017, actual: 1.026) but it tasted fantastic and it had been in primary for two weeks and secondary for another two weeks so I bottled it up anyway. It is very floral and malty with big hop flavor. I can't wait for this one to be all carbed up. One thing that really bothered me about this one... when I was bottling it kept foaming up like it was carbonated. What could have caused this? I don't know if it was air or CO2 in the line but I am terrified it was air and all my beer will be stale and foul. Every single bottle was foaming a little and I lost a lot of beer in the process. I'm wondering if it was still actively fermenting and went nuts due to the agitation. Ugh I hope not.

Future:

Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 671 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 597

What ever happened with this beer? How did it turn out? Did that weird taste go away? Did it clear up?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #26
vinnythering
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't know what happened, but I'm tasting what I think is diacetyl and it is still very cloudy. It definitely hadn't finished fermenting. Tastes great though and it is nice and is lightly carbonated. I will try another tonight so I can give a good description from fresh memory.

Future:

Last edited by vinnythering; 12-07-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
vinnythering
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't know how to style this is, but everyone that has tried it enjoys it. It is bitter and sweet with big hop flavor. Cloudy and probably full of diacetyl, but still very nice. I will make it again using the same recipe and hopefully the yeast behaves itself this time around and does what it is supposed to.

Future:

Quick Reply