Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Explain to me the difference between Panela (Piloncillo) and Turbinado Sugar!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Explain to me the difference between Panela (Piloncillo) and Turbinado Sugar!

After doing some research online, I don't really see a difference in them. They are both very little/not refined at all and are evaporated can juice. Also, IMO, Piloncillo tastes nothing like brown sugar.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

They're very similar, the biggest difference is that with turbinado the grain are 'loose" while, Jaggery, Panela, and Piloncillo, tend to be tighly packed into molds and are much harder. I've also noticed that those others have a higher natural mineral content than turbinado, which seems to be a tad more processed for the american palate.

I've been playing with jaggery lately, as well as date palm mollases and syrups, and I have found that they have a very distinctive mineral taste to them, not sulphuric like mollasses, but you pick up minerals in the flavors. Also Jaggery has a buttery tastes, and even texture when you cut it off one of those bell shaped chuncks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I will say that the "turbinadp" that I have come across in American stores like those boxes of sugar in the raw, they still are a bit bland compared to all those other sugars.

If you've even put it in coffee there is almost no difference between that and table sugar...maybe a little different taste, but still not all that distinctive, I've been using jaggery mollases as a sweatener in coffee recently, and it really has a "darker" more carmally flavor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There's also a queso panela, which is a type of cheese. I use it frequently. I wasn't aware that panela was also another name for piloncillo.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Whole Foods sells a bulk turbinado sugar that is darker and a lot more flavorful than the "Sugar in the Raw" brand. I like piloncillo for many things, but I don't put it in coffee. I like my coffee black.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

IMO, the flavor between piloncillo and "sugar in the raw" is worlds apart. Piloncillo is deliciously buttery (as revvy said) with a hint of caramel. I think it has the potential to be delicious in a malt forward beer.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
McboBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Hi, anyone in this post interested in piloncillo (also call panela or papelón) just send me a private message, I'm in Venezuela and I can ship it to US using DHL or FedEx, here they have the best papelón in the world, if you're looking for good brown unrefined sugar, this is a most try.

Regards

Quick Reply