Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Experimental Chocolate Chip Cookie Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Some people say 0.5 lb Biscuit is a little strong, and to use 0.25 lb instead. I can't say, as I've only used 0.25 lb in a recipe before. BUT - This would help keep the flavor more "cookie-y" than biscuity.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #22
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2553 Times on 1503 Posts
Likes Given: 5739

Cool, thanks. I will add .25 lb of biscuit to the recipe.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #23
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just checked out your finished recipe up top...one thing to consider: 12 oz of malto is a lot, perhaps too much. The most I've seen used is about 8 oz in a given recipe, although I have heard of up to a pound being used, so you may be alright. You may want to work some lactose in there.

Regarding the yeast: American Ale will give you a crisp finish, but tends to impart some citrus notes, which are not really welcome in a sweet stout. Indeed, a sweet stout is one of the few brews Wyeast does not recommend for 1056.

Whitbread has some mild fruitiness if you ferment it above 70*F, but that fruitiness is just a hint of banana, which would arguably compliment this brew. If you leave it in the primary for the recommended 3 weeks on the cake, the yeast will clean out any of the residual fruitiness. Otherwise, Whitbread emphasizes and compliments the malt component of the brew, and does not attenuate as fully as 1056. Indeed, 1056 will leave you too dry for a sweet stout of this nature, with the OG you have listed above.

Just food for thought.

EDIT: You may want to check your OG. 5 pounds of DME + the other stuff seems like it would start out in the 50's, perhaps higher. Could most certainly be wrong though.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Last edited by Pelikan; 12-06-2008 at 03:33 AM.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #24
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Thank you for your advice. I think I am going to keep the maltodextrine where it is, but I agree about the yeast. I do not want it to finish too dry. Since I'm using the biscuit, it'll need to be a PM, so maybe I can mash at 156 F or so to make sure. I'm going to keep looking at yeast options, but I will be sure to keep the Whitebread in mind.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 12-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #25
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
Thank you for your advice. I think I am going to keep the maltodextrine where it is, but I agree about the yeast. I do not want it to finish too dry. Since I'm using the biscuit, it'll need to be a PM, so maybe I can mash at 156 F or so to make sure. I'm going to keep looking at yeast options, but I will be sure to keep the Whitebread in mind.
There are a lot of fantastic British and Irish strains out there, Whitbread just happens to be a favorite of mine. Others are the London III, British II, Irish Ale. The White Labs Burton Ale is awesome, and I've heard it makes a fantastic sweet stout.

I just ran your figures through software, and with the DME, molasses, and malto (which is 12% fermentable), you're looking at 1.53 OG. Whitbread will finish you off around 1.016. I like sweet stouts finishing at around 1.018-1.020, so you may want to consider upping some or all of the fermentation. How much will be based upon the attenuation of the yeast you choose.

Godspeed, sir. I'm eager to hear how this one turns out. I love chocolate stouts, and this one seems very interesting with the addition of the biscuit.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #26
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I, too, am a major fan and promoter of white labs Burton Ale. It makes the best Hobgoblin clone ever, so smooooth!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #27
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

After looking at the different yeast strains, particularly those recommended for sweet stouts, I think the 1099 will be my best bet. It has a lower attenuation than the other options, which will leave me at a slightly higher FG and I think you're right about a gentle banana aroma complimenting the beer. Like a banana split made with chocolate chip cookies.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #28
PHBalanced
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, how did it turn out?

You buy your smack pack at lunch, as well as some DME for starters. Get back in your car, smack it likes it's SWMBO's ass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium View Post
"SHIMMY!!!!" (aussie for f***kin awesome)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
You know you're a homebrewer when you tell what hops are in a fart.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #29
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 162 Posts

I second that. You out there nukebrewer? Would love to hear of the results.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #30
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

...chirp...

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Quick Reply