Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Experimental beer question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
xxdcmast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Experimental beer question

I am planning on trying a small batch of beer this weekend and more than likely it will come out pretty bad. That said I am still going to try it anyways. I kinda wanna keep what Im doing quiet so Im not ridiculed before doing it. I promise I will post the results after it is complete and my recipe/process if you guys would like

Anyways....... is there anything in the list below that could possibly stop thhe yeast from fermenting or cause other problems with fermentation.

phosphoric acid, caffein, or sodium benzoate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Check out Sodium benzoate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will kill fungus (like yeast).

On the other hand, phosphoric acid can be a yeast food (I think this is a main ingredient in Star-San), and caffeine can be found in many brews that include coffee.

I wish you luck in your Coke-a-cola brew

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
xxdcmast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
Check out Sodium benzoate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will kill fungus (like yeast).

On the other hand, phosphoric acid can be a yeast food (I think this is a main ingredient in Star-San), and caffeine can be found in many brews that include coffee.

I wish you luck in your Coke-a-cola brew
Not a coca cola brew but part of the recipe will be a drinking beverage, just probably not something you would imagine.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdcmast View Post
Not a coca cola brew but part of the recipe will be a drinking beverage, just probably not something you would imagine.
Just tell us. If people didn't like to experiment, they wouldn't have started homebrewing

Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

all of the above.

Caffine is an alkaloid produced as a poison to prevent bugs from eating them. In small quantities, I'm sure its fine (like a coffee stout). Phosphoric acid (like in coke) would likely make the environment too acidic for yeast to be healthy.

SO...if you are going to ferment straight soda, it will probably taste like crap. I know some people (even BYO) have added different soda to beer with mixed results.

Quick Reply