Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Experementing with Various adjunct grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #1
Focus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Experementing with Various adjunct grains

As we all know, there's bewildering variety when it comes to the grains we use in brewing. First there's the different varieties of barley - 2-row, 6-row, and then the different species; then there's the different levels of roasting said barley - munich, chocolate, patent, crystal, biscuit; then there's other grains we like to throw in - rye, corn, oatmeal, rice, etc..

I'm curious - right now at least - about the effect that the adjunct grains have on the finished beer. So I planned a little experiment where I brew a "standard" amber ale recipe - something that's good, but not overly pronounced; a very "vanilla" beer if you will - then brew several batches using the same recipe and adding a different adjunct grain to each. I plan to try:
Oatmeal (I know, not standard for an amber but I want to keep all else equal)
Rye
Corn
Rice
Un-malted barley
Wheat (as a flavoring adjunct, not a primary grain as in weizens)

MY questions to the rest of you:
1) can you provide any insight as to what each of these adjuncts will add to the beer?
2) Are there any "normal" adjunct grains that I've missed?
3) Do you have any advice as to the conduct of this experiment?

Thanks,
Focus

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I should clarify:
- I do extract brewing with specialty / flavoring grains. I'm not a "full-up" AG brewer.
- My "standard" amber is your basic amber DME/LME with crystal steeping grains, cascade/ chinook hops, and White Labs American ale yeast.

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Old 05-19-2007, 04:08 AM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The wiki adjuncts page has quite a bit of information, that would be a good place to start.

Edit: I should also mention that most adjuncts seem to require mashing so you would need to add partial mashing to your skill-set if you don't already do those. It's really not difficult though (basically just steeping at a specific temperature), there is lots of great info on the wiki or searching the forum.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Last edited by bradsul; 05-19-2007 at 04:11 AM.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if you can steep rye,corn or rice with success. Why not try Victory,Aromatic, Biscuit and several Crystal grains at various weights?

Gary

Quick Reply