Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Excess LME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
dave8fire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Excess LME

New to the whole homebrew world and just did my first partial grain/extract. Most of the containers of LME that I have found are 3.3 pounds, the recipe calls for 5 pounds of a wheat malt and 2 pounds of a light. I hate to be wasteful, so what to do with the leftover?? Can it be saved, what overall effect would it have if you just used all of the LME?? thanks

dave althouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you use it all you will have a higher original gravity and probably higher ABV along with a diifference in flavor.
If I am following a recipe I prefer DME, it is easier to store excess, and less worries about age.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My brew buddy and I tend to follow the rule, more is better. I would add it in. Not a big fan of leftovers.

I do agree that you will get more alcohol and it will change the taste...but I don't mind the little extra alcohol and we aren't pro brewers attempting to get a consistent taste.

Quick Reply