New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ever brew with sugar maple sap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #21
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by notAsDrunkMonk View Post
First time poster, long time lurker. Just tapped 4 trees yesterday, and already have over 8 gallons. Planning on Boiling down 15 gallons on wednesday, and looking for ideas to use my maple sap. Complimentary recipes or flavors. Love the dried fruit caramel flavors from this belgian dubble I made couple of months back. Thinking amber ale or porter. Have a bit of belgian special b and 120L crystal grains for that flavor. Anyone?
Cool! What's your location?

If I brew with sap, my recipe will be very simple.
Mostly pale ale malt with a touch C120 and maybe some Munich malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
notAsDrunkMonk
Recipes 

Default St Louis Mo maple sap flowing

Still have some munich malt, but agree that simple would be best. Wonder what type of hops to not overpower the hint of maple.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
TyTanium
Recipes 

Tapped my maple and birch this morning.

10-day forecast looks perfect - above freezing during the day, below at night. Hope I have some sap when I get home!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
ODG34
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been thinking about trying this myself.

5.5 gal Vanilla Oatmeal Milk Stout Brewed 1/26/13
5.5 gal Lemon Ginger Belgian Saison Brewed 2/10/13
5.5 gal American IPA Brewed 2/23/13
5.5 gal Vanilla Oatmeal Milk Stout Brewed 3/09/13
5.5 gal Ameican IPA Brewed 4/03/13
5.5 gal Abby Double Brewed 4/07/13

Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
roxbob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I tried this last year, and wasn't too successful. I only have one sugar maple tree, so it took some time to collect enough to brew with. Even though I accumulated it in a corny keg in my beer fridge, one day the sap suddenly want from crystal clear to cloudy. Point being, it spoils fast, so brew quickly after you collect it! If I try it again this year, I'll probably have to freeze it in 1-gallon jugs until I have enough to brew.

Since it was just starting to turn and didn't taste bad, I brewed with it anyway and made a Kolsch. Wasn't very good, and usually my Kolsch is great. Haven't decided what I'll make this time...

Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's another thread on this at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-tap-make-your-own-maple-syrup-383695/

I posted:
Years ago (1983 to be exact) my buddy gave me 6 gallons of sugar maple sap. I was homebrewing but not very sophisticated (who was? who is???) I didn't even own a hydrometer so I figured "What the heck, boil it hard to kill whatever and then just treat it like water." I then followed a Canadian Amber extract recipe. Nearly blew the lid off the bucket and fermented for weeks! The resulting beer was incredible. Very strong and a noticeable but not overwhelming maple flavor. In fact, probably the only great beer I made in those days. We mostly made super black stouts and blended them with cheap beer for cheap "black-and-tans". I always figured I could attempt to replicate this "Maple Amber" by adding a pint of syrup near the end of the boil...but that's less fun and more expensive!

I set my taps up (2) before the blizzard (we currently have easily 2 feet and growing). My plan is to use it for sparge water. Any idea what the "water aspect is? Is it essentially RO?

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
vtchuck

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A few comments from a Vermonter:

I am unable to detect any maple flavor from any sap beers I have brewed.

I also make a maple sap mead. The sap ups the abv and likely helps get fermentation started.

A local micro-distillery is making maple sap vodka. Tried a sample.... tastes like vodka.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"I used to have a drinking problem, now I have a hobby."

Primary: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Spiced Cider
Secondary: MVP Ale
In the Bottles: Maple Sap Mead
In the Kegerators: MVP Ale, Pils
Next: ?

Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
notAsDrunkMonk
Recipes 

Default boiled down 18 gallons thus far

Been cold at night but warm days. Sap is flowing like crazy. Been boiling what I collect to sanitize it and make room for more. Boiled the 18 Down to 10 but gravity is only 1.014. Will try a maple amber recipe tomorrow and prime with syrup.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #29
TyTanium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notAsDrunkMonk View Post
Been cold at night but warm days. Sap is flowing like crazy. Been boiling what I collect to sanitize it and make room for more. Boiled the 18 Down to 10 but gravity is only 1.014. Will try a maple amber recipe tomorrow and prime with syrup.
Location?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
zippyclown
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

I'm the original poster for this maple sap thread. Lots of replies which I've found very helpful. But we seem split 50/50. Half of you brewed with sap and it added a maple and/or woody flavor. The other half of you firmly believe that it completely ferments out and lends absolutely nothing to the brew aside from a higher ABV.

Really interested to know what the technique was that resulted in flavor? Did you boil the sap down more creating more carmelization or flavor? Does it matter if the sap comes from late in the season vs. early? I know later season sap has a darker and more mapley profile.

Anybody able to identify what helped retain the flavor? In theory it seems like it would ferment out 100% leaving nothing behind, but clearly some of you have overcome that...

In central mass we just got 30 inches of snow dumped on us, but this week the sap should be flowing. Freezing at night and mid to high 30's during the day.

zc

Quick Reply