The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ever brew with sugar maple sap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Cider123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've heard of people having better success making wine out of maple sap in terms of flavor. I also sugar but just for my family. We only tap about 15 or so trees. I'd much rather save the sap for sugaring. I make gallons of beer, but only a few pints of syrup.
For those that have never done it, you get approx. 1 gallon of syrup for every 40 gallons of sap you boil down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Made a porter with 10 gallons a friend gave me, I used it in place of water in all steps of the brew. It was the best porter I ever made, but it really had no maple taste. As far as fermenting dry, mine did not, it finished @ 1.016, the amount of sugar in the sap is really low like 2 % so it doesn't change the beer much at all.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Suminorudder
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Warrens Finest Liquids ( a Nanobrewery from Warren Vermont) made a world class rated beer with maple sugar. Heres a link to the beer advocate page. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17980/43978

They got a silver medal in the World Beer Championship (Thats a thing right?) for this beer. Maybe trying to track down a bottle and take notes about it would help you in developing your own recipe as well. It couldnt hurt for sure

Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made an excellent pale ale last year. I boiled 20 gallons down to the amount necessary to mash and sparge. There is a hint of maple in the finish and a bit of a woody flavor up front. I will certainly do it again.

Beer makes me pee.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
sakeyfour
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have brewed a few times with maple sap. I usually use twice the amount of sap as I would water boil down like making syrup and then use to brew. Does give a different flavor to the pale ale I make. Little earthy maple notes.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #16
beaston
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What about using maple syrup, like you would use honey in any other brew?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I just did that with an imperial nut brown ale - 16 or 20 oz of maple syrup at knockout (don't remember the amount off the top of my head). The beer came out very well, but there's almost zero maple character there. Everything fermented out.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
mastweb
Recipes 

I brewed a Northern English Brown Ale (recipe from Jamil's book) with maple sap that was passed through à reverse osmosis filter (concentrated about 3 times). The water was 1.020.
I used it in the mash (and most of the sparge. It raised my gravity of 0.020 points.

The beer was great. It gave it a woody, minerally taste that blend very well with the nutty side of the original beer. You can taste the maple, but it's not sweet. It fermented very well. The beer was 7% ABV instead of 5% (original recipe)

It's worth a try!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 42

If I remember right, the maple sap is almost like pure filtered water with some sugar. I know it it is great to drink, especially if the water is bad in the area you live in. That might be a great reason to try it.

BTW, you can also make cherry suryp from cherry sap, birch suryp, apple suryp, etc, etc,...,... It just takes about twice as much sap due to the lower sugar content!

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #20
notAsDrunkMonk
Recipes 

Default tapped 4 trees

First time poster, long time lurker. Just tapped 4 trees yesterday, and already have over 8 gallons. Planning on Boiling down 15 gallons on wednesday, and looking for ideas to use my maple sap. Complimentary recipes or flavors. Love the dried fruit caramel flavors from this belgian dubble I made couple of months back. Thinking amber ale or porter. Have a bit of belgian special b and 120L crystal grains for that flavor. Anyone?

Last edited by notAsDrunkMonk; 02-05-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: sap not syrup

Quick Reply