The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > ESB Recipe - Need Input

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #31
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

There you go! I completely forgot to note that before.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #32
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What Bob and I are volleying about is that Windsor is notorious for finishing high. I use it in my Oatmeal Stout for that reason. I mostly use S-04 and it finishes lower, leaving a slightly drier beer. To preserve a little more of the body and Malt flavor, I mash higher.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #33
Bob
Recipes 

Yarp. If you swear by Nottingham, for example, and it's your "house yeast", the solution to the problem of a less-attenuated beer is a more dextrinous mash profile. If you choose different yeasts, you can mash the same way every time and let the yeast define how much to leave in the beer.

Or you could really complicate things and go with a combination of both.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #34
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Our intrepid OP, however, is using Wyeast 1098, which is the Whitbread dry strain. It is known for 75% attenuation and a dry finish. Mashing at 154° makes a lot of sense in this instance. Let's not scare to poor guy off by getting too esoteric this early in his HBT career. There's plenty of time for that.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #35
rob897
Recipes 

Quote:
Let's not scare to poor guy off by getting too esoteric this early in his HBT career.
Exactly.... Feels like I just sat through a 2 day seminar all in 1 hour.

I appreciate the suggestions, but since I have all the current ingredients for the original recipe, I would like to stick as close to it as possible without losing the ESB style as some of you mentioned...

I will leave out the Flaked Barley and my hops are right where everyone agreed on. So should I still be mashing in at 154 for 60min based on this recipe or should I go a little lower?

Also does this style need to be put in a secondary fermenter or will it be good to go after the primary?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #36
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob897 View Post

I appreciate the suggestions, but since I have all the current ingredients for the original recipe, I would like to stick as close to it as possible without losing the ESB style as some of you mentioned...

I will leave out the Flaked Barley and my hops are right where everyone agreed on. So should I still be mashing in at 154 for 60min based on this recipe or should I go a little lower?

Also does this style need to be put in a secondary fermenter or will it be good to go after the primary?
Sorry, I got a little carried away

154 is great for that yeast without the Flaked Barley is what I was getting at. If you were to leave in the Flaked Barley, you'd probably want to adjust by lowering your mash temperature. Then again if you want a super high mouthfeel/body I believe adding it in and mashing high would do that.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #37
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

If you stay in primary for 7-10 days, you may want to use a secondary. If you prefer to leave your beer in the primary for 3 weeks, then a secondary shouldn't be necessary at all. I personally have started skipping secondary on pretty much all of my beers, and doing 21-28 day primary. The yeast kind of "cleans up" after itself if you give it time.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #38
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
If you stay in primary for 7-10 days, you may want to use a secondary. If you prefer to leave your beer in the primary for 3 weeks, then a secondary shouldn't be necessary at all. I personally have started skipping secondary on pretty much all of my beers, and doing 21-28 day primary. The yeast kind of "cleans up" after itself if you give it time.
Welcome to the club

Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #39
Bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob897 View Post
Sorry, dude! Sometimes the conversation goes places the OP never intends. It is the OP's inalienable right to slap us when we hijack your thread.

Quote:

154 is good.

Quote:
Like Chriso wrote, it depends. You can let it stay in the primary, sure. You could rack to a secondary - I call them "clearing tank" - after the initial, vigorous ferment is complete (when you get three like gravity readings in a row). I like to add finings at that time to encourage the beer to clear star-bright.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #40
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
Welcome to the club
I was just a really quiet member, I've been in the club for a while I quit using secondaries back in, like, March or so. I had been using them till around then..... but I got really busy, and wound up letting my primaries all sit for 4 weeks.... When I racked them, I realized that they were a couple of my best brews yet. So I quit using a clearing stage, and just started kegging after 21 days.

My next project is to start experimenting with adding gelatin at the last 2 days of my 21 day primary. Then, let sit the remaining 2 days, let the proteins fall out, and then rack to keg. I'm hoping this results in a minor reduction in trub at the bottom of my kegs.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply