Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > ESB Recipe - Need Input

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I'm with them. Hop it with EKG or Fuggle at 60 minute, Willamette at 30 minutes, and more EKG or Fuggle at 10 minutes.

Cheers!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'm glad you're able to get some Goldings. That will go a long way toward preserving the British ale character you're looking for.

The original recipe is suspect. Or the author/brewer was going for something completely unconventional. Galena (and Nugget, for that matter) is usually a neutral bittering hop used at the start of the boil rather than as a flavor/aroma hop near the end. Putting high Alpha hops at the end of the schedule, where the Alpha acids won't be isomerized (i.e. won't make it into the beer), is just plain odd.

I'd go with all Goldings, Fuggle and Willamette. The original hop schedule puts you at about 35 IBUs, which is right for the style. This schedule:

• 1.5oz Kent Goldings (60 min.)
  • 1oz Willamette (30 min)
  • 1oz Fuggle (10 min)
will put you in the 35-37 IBU ballpark with much more British character.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com
rob897 Likes This 
Old 09-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Jeez, you guys are fast.

Interesting that we all came up with the same schedule.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 09-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Jeez, you guys are fast.

Interesting that we all came up with the same schedule.

Chad
That's because it's an ESB, and those are the hops that should be used(Target, Northdown and Chalenger would work also)

Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
rob897
Recipes 

thanks everyone so the 154 mash in temp sounds good? I have never done the iodine test, I am also going to have to reread my previous brews as I will have to figure out how much water I need at mashin and how much I need for sparge as it's been over 6 month since I brewed.
I have Beer Tools Pro but I don't think I have that calibrated to it's full potential. I can attach the recipe from btp if anyone interested in letting me know if I have it setup correctly?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #16
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

If you doubt whether BTP is generating the right numbers, I recommend downloading a free trial copy of BeerSmith, plugging your recipe into there, and comparing the results.

I just plugged it in, and got 3.57 Gallons at 169*F strike, 4.48 Gallons sparge water. That's assuming single batch sparge, and mash tun *not* pre-heated (BeerSmith compensates if you ask it to)... If you want to pre-heat your tun seperately, drain, then mash in, it's 166*F strike temp.

What numbers are BTP telling you? (The BTP recipe file won't help me, I don't have that software. Someone else might?)

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
rob897
Recipes 

I have both btp and beersmith so let me plug them both in and send you the data when I get home.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
rob897
Recipes 

Ok I have attached the Beersmith recipe.
Forgive me I am still trying to learn how to use this program as I have not setup my equipment properly in here, but I have a 15 Gallon Keggle I use for the boil, and a 70 qt cooler (photos here)
But I am not seeing where I get the Mash temps/times/water volumes etc from Beersmith.
I always Batch Sparge as well as I see there are some settings for that as well... so if anyone can help me get this configured properly... I would appreciate it.

File Type: bsm esb.bsm (11.7 KB, 28 views)

Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob897 View Post
Ok I have attached the Beersmith recipe.
Forgive me I am still trying to learn how to use this program as I have not setup my equipment properly in here, but I have a 15 Gallon Keggle I use for the boil, and a 70 qt cooler (photos here)
But I am not seeing where I get the Mash temps/times/water volumes etc from Beersmith.
I always Batch Sparge as well as I see there are some settings for that as well... so if anyone can help me get this configured properly... I would appreciate it.
To set your mash profile, about 1/2 way down the page when your recipe is open is "Mash Profile". Click "choose" and there are your choices. You can also adjust this to your preferences. For example, I picked "single infusion medium body" and checked the box for "adjust temp for equipment".

Also, don't forget to look at the top part of this recipe- you have a 5 gallon brewpot checked, with defaults to a 4 gallon boil, so your numbers are funny.

esb2.bsm

Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #20
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob897 View Post
Did you notice the "Preview Brewsheet" button along the top bar? It took me a while to notice it. That's the easiest place to get all of your strike volumes and temps.

Quick Reply