Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Epic Brainless on Peaches recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Epic Brainless on Peaches recipe?

So I want to do a strong golden Belgian and incorporate one of my favorite fruits, peaches.
one classic example, and one of my favorite beers, is Epic's Brainless on Peaches.
I'm assuming that they start off with a basic strong trippel and add fruit at the end of the boil and/or in the secondary.
So I'm thinking:

12 lb's Belgian Pilsner
.5 lb's Belgian carapils
1.5 lb's Clear candi sugar
projected OG 1.073 at 72% efficiency

I'm hoping the OG will go up with the addition of the peaches.
I was also wondering about the yeast they use and if they used any bugs such as brett or lacto.

I'll stick with noble hops and keep 'um light, I really want to make the peaches present.

any thoughts on the malt bill or yeast?

Last edited by CBMbrewer; 02-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From my experience brewing with fruit and more specifically a cherry Belgian strong ale, it is better to first brew the ale and let age for a couple of months, then add the peaches and let sit for another month, then remove bottle/keg and let age a little more. Adding the peaches to the primary fermentation will ferment the peach flavor right out of your beer.

Be careful with your gravity as if you are too high your beer will be more dry and the alcohol will be harder to hide in the light body beer.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
7b46
Recipes 

if youre trying to clone epic's beer, id cut the sugar down to 1 lb, add .5 lbs each of wheat malt and flaked oats. then add enough Marris Otter to bring the starting gravity up to 20P. i believe epic moves the beer to french oak chardonnay barrels after fermentation, then adds the peaches (probably about 1.5lbs per gallon) and ferments it out with champagne yeast. if i had to guess id say they used WLP550 for primary fermentation

Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7b46 View Post
if youre trying to clone epic's beer, id cut the sugar down to 1 lb, add .5 lbs each of wheat malt and flaked oats. then add enough Marris Otter to bring the starting gravity up to 20P. i believe epic moves the beer to french oak chardonnay barrels after fermentation, then adds the peaches (probably about 1.5lbs per gallon) and ferments it out with champagne yeast. if i had to guess id say they used WLP550 for primary fermentation
Thank you! I'm gonna just up the pilsner instead of adding the MO, just to keep the color down. But you may have finished my recipe.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 44

It's good to see some love for a Utah microbrewery. I've had the chance to talk to the head brewer, Kevin Crompton, at a couple of local events including most recently at a beer/cheese pairing. I know Brainless doesn't normally have brett or lacto...at least not intentionally. I say that because at the tasting he brought out a Brainless on Cherries that had been accidentally aged in a barrel that had been inoculated with brett (mis-labeled barrel).

Re the yeast for Brainless on Peaches (BoP), at another event, I had him try a Blanche de Chambly clone that I had brewed. He asked what yeast I used and what temp I fermented at. I told him it was WLP400 and he said that's the same that he uses on his Belgians. I'm not sure if he meant all his Belgians or just for some of them. We'd been talking about the BoP before he tried mine, so I assumed he was referring to BoP, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. If I remember correctly, he said he ferments it as 72F.

BTW, I know they're working on a Flanders Red right now. I believe he said they brewed it in November or December, so keep an eye out for that one in the future.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got a personal tour of the place on a recent ski trip to utah. Epic was great, and Kevin was really nice and informative.

I can confirm what microbus said and that they age all of their Belgians in oak barrels, and typically do not use any brett or lacto.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
It's good to see some love for a Utah microbrewery. I've had the chance to talk to the head brewer, Kevin Crompton, at a couple of local events including most recently at a beer/cheese pairing. I know Brainless doesn't normally have brett or lacto...at least not intentionally. I say that because at the tasting he brought out a Brainless on Cherries that had been accidentally aged in a barrel that had been inoculated with brett (mis-labeled barrel).

Re the yeast for Brainless on Peaches (BoP), at another event, I had him try a Blanche de Chambly clone that I had brewed. He asked what yeast I used and what temp I fermented at. I told him it was WLP400 and he said that's the same that he uses on his Belgians. I'm not sure if he meant all his Belgians or just for some of them. We'd been talking about the BoP before he tried mine, so I assumed he was referring to BoP, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. If I remember correctly, he said he ferments it as 72F.

BTW, I know they're working on a Flanders Red right now. I believe he said they brewed it in November or December, so keep an eye out for that one in the future.
Thanks for the info man, its looking more and more like I'm gonna have a nice clone of BoP (Sweet!)
Thats great that there doing a flanders! Epic is one of my favorite breweries and flanders reds are one of my favorite styles. I'll have to keep an eye out for it

Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Any thoughts on the hop schedule.
I was thinking of using styrian goldings at FWH and then at KO but i'm not sure about amounts.
any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Option
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have had brainless on peaches, big bad baptist, smoked and Oaked (my favorite) and a few others and they are all excellent beers. I can't wait to make a trip over there.
If this is a successful brew I would love to give it a try. Subbed...

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
7b46
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post

WLP400 is only used for their witbier, the yeast used for brainless (and peaches, cherries, and smoked and oaked) is WLP550, fermented at 72/73, with a rise to 75 at 60% attenuation.

as for the hops they use premiant @60min, tettnang @30min, and saaz @5min, but for the fruit version it probably doesnt matter, that beer doesnt have a ton of hop character

Quick Reply