Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Enough oak to be noticeable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
ircmaxell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've ordered 3 barrels through http://barrels-kegs.com/ (it's cheap), and I've gotta say, I'm never going to use chips again. It's so easy to use a barrel, and the result is astounding. I just racked 2.5 gallons of double IPA into a fresh barrel tonight (it'll probably be ready next week).

The benefit to using a real barrel, is that notes from each liquid in it come through in the later ones. I did a port in a small barrel (it sat for 2 months). Then I used it for a stout. My god did it come out amazing. There's a sweetness and ever so slight grape hint to the stout (not recognizable, but REALLY good)...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ircmaxell View Post
I've ordered 3 barrels through http://barrels-kegs.com/ (it's cheap), and I've gotta say, I'm never going to use chips again. It's so easy to use a barrel, and the result is astounding. I just racked 2.5 gallons of double IPA into a fresh barrel tonight (it'll probably be ready next week).

The benefit to using a real barrel, is that notes from each liquid in it come through in the later ones. I did a port in a small barrel (it sat for 2 months). Then I used it for a stout. My god did it come out amazing. There's a sweetness and ever so slight grape hint to the stout (not recognizable, but REALLY good)...
It would be nice if everyone could use barrels, but most people simply don't have the space. I had one I used a few years back, but sold it because I didn't want to deal with the maintenance. The fact that they need to be stored wet is a pain in the ass.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used an oz of oak cubes for 6 months and it was not all that noticeable, I should have used 2oz.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just finished this beer out. so it was 0.5oz for 14 days and 0.5oz for 7 days of light toasted american oak chip. When flat, the oak was completely overpowering. but once carbed, it is head on. Added .75oz medium toast hungarian cube to the keg and will keep it there to taste.

Turned out pretty damn good.

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ircmaxell View Post

That's awesome. I am definitely going to get one of these to try it out.

Thanks for the link

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Quick Reply