Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > English Barley Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
amrmedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default English Barley Wine

Ok, I am brewing my Barley Wine. This is for an English Barley Wine. I have posted my recipe before but I have made adjustments based on your recommendations. I downsized the batch to fit my equipment.

I am going to do a 2.5 gallon batch as to be able to accommodate my equipment. Plan for a 120 minute boil

Uk Pale Malt 11 lb
UK Amber Malt 2 lb
UK Crystal 55 1 lb

Hops:
Admiral .5 oz full boil
UK Phoenix .5 oz at 60
UK Brambling Cross .25 oz at 30
UK Fuggles .254 oz at 15 min

Going to use Wyeast Old Ale Blend 9097 with a starter

Ok, my questions are:
1) How much strike water to use? I plan to get 4.5 gallons and boil down to 2.5 gallons

2) Do I sparge and if so how much? Or do I sparge and take those runnings and make a second beer?

I plan to ferment in primary for 3-4 weeks, 3 months in secondary on oak chips and then bottle for 8 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 88

You need a minimum of 3.5 gllons of water so you'd have a 1 qrt/lb.

How much you sparge will depend on how much dead space you have in your tun. If you wanted to do a no-sparge you'd have to add about 6.5 gallons of strike water (assuming the grain soaks up .1 gal/lb and your tun has .5 gal of dead space). You can divide that 6.5 gal up however you want between the strike and sparge.

With the Brett in that blend you may need to give it more time in secondary, keep an eye on the gravity and don't bottle until it is stable for a month.

Sounds like a good recipe, hope it turns out well. I did an Old Ale with Brett C and oak ~4 years ago, really complex, but the body was a bit too thin in my opinion. You might want to add some flaked rye or something to add body even if the FG drops low.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmedic View Post
Ok, I am brewing my Barley Wine. This is for an English Barley Wine. I have posted my recipe before but I have made adjustments based on your recommendations. I downsized the batch to fit my equipment.

I am going to do a 2.5 gallon batch as to be able to accommodate my equipment. Plan for a 120 minute boil

Uk Pale Malt 11 lb
UK Amber Malt 2 lb
UK Crystal 55 1 lb
That UK Amber Malt can come through real strong. You may consider scaling it back to half a pound.

Quick Reply