Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > elp with cloning Uinta Brewery's Four+ Wyld Extra Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
bighand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for getting this info out on Wyld, it is my favorite "on tap" beer that we have in this crazy state. I was guessing a ton of late hops and it looks like that is what they do. If only I had a bunch of Simcoe hops...I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks again!!! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi, jonesallu -

I'll try to answer your questions in line.

I'm assuming the "@60" and "@20" are the times in the boil, correct? YES

I'm also assuming the numbers after you mention the Pacman from Wyeast are fermentation temps, correct? YES

Do you batch sparge or continuous sparge? Do you dry hop with pellets, plugs or leaf? I know these might be debatable but I'm interested in what has worked for you (I'm getting too old to experiment). BATCH Sparge, PELLETS for all hop additions

A bit about my brewing process; I do BIAB via Deathbrewer's method on this forum. Look in the All Grain and Partial Mash section and I'm pretty sure it has a sticky note under "Stovetop All Grain Brewing." That employs a dunk sparge which is a batch-type sparge.

Ok, now to feedback on 4th iteration. The hops profile is super close. I'm happy with that. I have MORE hop aroma from my brew than Wyld. I'm guessing that is due to fresher product, and that I may be dry hopping more aggressively than they. I like it, though and think I'll stick with this hop schedule into my next iterations.

Color in every iteration from #2 on is fine.

My chief complaint with all my iterations is a lack of maltiness. Every brew, especially the last two, have been good. There's just some malt character missing when compared to Wyld. One of the things I like best is that it is nice and hoppy but you can really get the malt right up there too. So far, my attempts have not been as malt forward as Wyld.

I think this current keg will kick over Thanksgiving weekend. So, I'll be brewing this grain bill next:

7 lb US 2-row
1 lb CaraPils
1.5 lb Crystal 20

Use same hop schedule.

I may try a different yeast. Perhaps a maltier English type yeast like White Labs WLP002. I plan to do some more research, but 002 or 013 might be an option. What I want is for more malt character to come through.

In summary, I'm making beer that is a tasty session APA. I'm at least 80% there to clone, maybe closer. Color = fine, Hops = super close, malt profile: needs work.

If you haven't started brewing again yet, go ahead a brew the #4 malt bill and do the hopping as mentioned. It's not totally Wyld, but it is getting there.

Cheers.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighand View Post
Thanks for getting this info out on Wyld, it is my favorite "on tap" beer that we have in this crazy state. I was guessing a ton of late hops and it looks like that is what they do. If only I had a bunch of Simcoe hops...I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks again!!! Cheers!
Thanks, Bighand.

Where can you get this on tap? I'm having trouble finding it draft. I've had it at BeerHive and Piper Down.

Where else?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
bhensley88
Recipes 

I've had this on tap several times in Washington DC. Unfortunately you can't get it in Maryland where I live. It is an amazing beer that I haven't been able to come by....This beer alone has gotten me into homebrew. If anyone has been able to get the result of Wyld, I'd love to hear their final recipe. Understand that I am new to this though so any extra detail is welcome!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhensley88 View Post
I've had this on tap several times in Washington DC. Unfortunately you can't get it in Maryland where I live. It is an amazing beer that I haven't been able to come by....This beer alone has gotten me into homebrew. If anyone has been able to get the result of Wyld, I'd love to hear their final recipe. Understand that I am new to this though so any extra detail is welcome!
bhensley88 -

Go to post #8 on this thread - brew iteration #4 and you will be close. The recipe I've posted is all grain, but this one could be modified for an extract brewer.

Your local homebrew store can help you out, or if you need some help let me know.

The KEY to this recipe is the Simcoe hops for most of the bittering and also for dry hopping.

Cheers

Old 12-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
jonesallu
Recipes 

I'm just about to try No. 4 but have had a heck of a time finding Simcoe hops. I did convert your grain bill to extract. I'll let you know how it turns out if the hops ever arrive. Thanks for all your help.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesallu
I'm just about to try No. 4 but have had a heck of a time finding Simcoe hops. I did convert your grain bill to extract. I'll let you know how it turns out if the hops ever arrive. Thanks for all your help.
No problem, happy to share information!

Yep, the Simcoe situation will improve early next year when the homebrew stores begin getting in the 2011 harvest in stock. Pelletized hops for a season typically arrive early the following year.

Because if this addictive brew, I'm going to buy a few pounds of Simcoe. :-) The dry hopping accelerates up the usage rate big time.

Cheers

Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
rodisian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpup View Post
I travel to Salt Lake City frequently for work. I am just crazy about Wyld Extra Pale Ale. It's a session strength (4%) beer, lovely color, and pleasantly hoppy (IBU of 29).

Help! I've written the brewery...no luck.
hey kcpup- I wasn't able to listen live, but I believe the most recent Jamil Show/Can You Brew It featured Wyld Pale Ale on it last night (1/9/11). They make the show available via podcast about 2+ weeks after the live broadcast, so you should be in luck! Even if it wasn't cloned, I'm sure it'll be darn close

Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodisian View Post
hey kcpup- I wasn't able to listen live, but I believe the most recent Jamil Show/Can You Brew It featured Wyld Pale Ale on it last night (1/9/11). They make the show available via podcast about 2+ weeks after the live broadcast, so you should be in luck! Even if it wasn't cloned, I'm sure it'll be darn close
OH MY GOSH!

I wrote Jamil about featuring this many months ago! (He had complimented this beer in Zymurgy about a year ago. He said it was "sublime.") I was shocked that within a few hours Jamil had written me back - they must get a zillion emails, etc. I'm glad I wasn't alone and there were enough people interested that Wyld got on the show. I'm thrilled!

Woooo Hooooo! Thanks - I'm soooo happy. I never get to listen live, either. Many thanks for the info. 2012 is starting off right!

Last edited by kcpup; 01-10-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply