Elderflower wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRdaSconnie

Reaction score
So I've been looking for info any anyone doing beers with elderflowers in it. A few here and there, but no one raving about a great brew. I got into the whole fermentation hobby by making elderberry wines, so I know the plant well...just not the flowers. My main question comes on when to use the flowers. I'd think dry-herbing would be the way to go to get the best flavor/aroma, but in Radical Brewing, Mosher just throws out there that the flowers can be toxic if not "cooked" and leaves it at that. Anyone out there have some pointers? I haven't done much with herbs other than my Sarsaparilla Gorilla Sour Stout.

This will take much of the work out of it for you. I know from using this stuff as a chef first hand that it's a great product with an amazing aroma. It's quite sugary though so compensate for that in your calculations.

20110702-03 elderflower.jpg

I've always wanted to try Elderberry flowers in a beer or mead, but have not done so yet.

However, I did find this...

Wiki on Elderberry Flowers said:

I also have a spice guide from BYO magazine which suggests Elderberry flowers be used in the secondary for about 2 days .. no more than 2 oz per 5-gal.

Sounds like the berries & flowers are safe enough... Just do your own research until you feel comfortable enough to try them!
:)
--LexusChris

Mashing my base weiss beer right now. Plan is to use flower petals in secondary. Considered making a vodka extract but we'll see how this turns out first. Going heavy on local Wisconsin ingredients: Sconnie ditch elderflowers, raw Wisconsin wheat, local Cascades, and harvested Lakefront Wisconsinite yeast. Very excite.

Here is the cereal mash that I did with the raw wheat and some base Pils. Using my "new" old late 50's Coleman 426B that I just picked up yesterday! Planning an all Coleman brewday for a Pre-Prohibition Lager with a fellow Coleman enthusiast in my HBC. After the cereal mash I emptied the thin mash into my MLT and then did a mini-decoction-esque boil of the thick mash. Smelled like nutty whole wheat bread!

2012-07-29_08-37-18_85.jpg

Back