New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Effects of high temp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
awillis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Effects of high temp

I'm using WLP #380, which is best at 64-70 degrees, at about 78-80 degrees for my hef. I know higher temps can provide some off flavors, but will an 8-10 degree difference really matter? I'm assuming the brew will be more aromatic and estery. What about the taste? I put a towel over it to provide some coolness, but I'm not worried to much just curious.TIA

"As good wine needs no bush, so beer needs no excuse. One should drink it because it is pleasing to drink and not because it contains any specific number of calories or because it is either good or bad for you"

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Little Hoof Hefeweizen
OnTap: Empty
Bottle: Single Chain Raspberry Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
2nd Street Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. I used WL English Ale yeast which has approx the same optimum temp range but due to the high temps we have had this summer it spent most of it's time in the 75-80 degree range. I had it in a bucket of water in the basement to try to keep it cooler. I'm bottling it sometime this week so I guess I'll know in about 2 wks. It tasted ok the 2 times I tested the SG but we'll see what some time in the bottle does.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply