Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Durian Fruit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
ChillyP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Durian Fruit

So I was curious if anyone have ever brewed with Durian fruit? I'm not sure if it's a really good idea....but I've been floating the idea of a recipe. I know there's a dish called 'Tempoyak' that's made from a fermenting Durian, but it looks more like a weird paste. So I know anything I make I would make would have to counter balance the Durian, and I would probably have to put the Durian into the secondary. I'm also aware that I won't be able to brew this in the house since SWMBO will not allow me to ferment stink fruit. Maybe I'll rent a temp control storage unit. Any ideas, suggestions.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
ChillyP
Recipes 

Oh and now at the bottom I can find some info. I think the search engine is broken....

Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Have you ever tried a durian? I have... And won't ever again. But I guess if you like the taste of rotten onion and feet, combined with the texture of thick pudding encased in a thin membrane, then go for it.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
ChillyP
Recipes 

Well I do like Onions and Cheese (even smelly cheese). Maybe I could come up with something.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Nasty, vile, food for maggots that Durian is. And that is when it's fresh.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
Chester
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my boss came back from vietnam with a bunch of hard candy. Most of it was good. then I had a durian candy (thought it was jackfruit by the picture). Couldn't get the rot taste out of my mouth for 2 days...

Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #7
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Durian

As KingBrian1 said, "Have you ever tried Durian??"

Well, there are 2 kinds of people in this world: Those who think Durian is tasty, and those who think it smells/tastes like dirty gym socks. I am of the latter. There does not seem to be many in the middle on this one.

One of my Vietnamese brother-in-laws has no problem with it. The rest of the family does not find this fruit edible or enjoyable.

So, if you really like it ... guess you can experiment away. I couldn't even begin to make any suggestions, as this seems like a bad idea to me.
--LexusChris

p.s. I'll eat most anything... tripe, sheep's eye, balut, etc. but durian ... yeewhh...

Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
rotten onion and feet, combined with the texture of thick pudding encased in a thin membrane
That is pretty similar to my description when people ask. Onion and sweaty gym sock flavored stringy vanilla pudding.

I ate it once to try it. NEVER AGAIN.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
xxsn0blindxx
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Given the potency and strong flavor of Durian I'd be worried about it overpowering the beer. Seriously, the stuff will stink up an entire house for hours. I am definitely of the group that thinks it smells like my outdoor trashcan on a hot summer day, so I can't even imagine what kind of malts you would use for it and man talk about having off flavors. I think the sign, commonly seen on doors throughout Malaysia and Singapore pretty much sums it up.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Can you even get it in the states now????? Are they importing it now, or growing it domestically?

I know airlines ban the bringing of it into the country.

Check this out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply