Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dunkelweisen Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
brewtimus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dunkelweisen Recipe

Hello thinking of brewing a Dunkel this week and pitch it over my hefeweizen cake in the fermenter. Anyone use any crystal in their dunkels with success?

I was thinking about this for a grain bill

20 gallon batch

60-70% wheat 30 lbs
20% marris otter 10 lbs
Munich 7 lbs
crystal 60L 4 lbs
1 lb chocolate

step mashed

pitched on wlp 300 hefeweizen yeast

german noble hops, tettnanger, saaz, or perle with a cascade in the hopback.

Also I have used a few lbs of honey in my wheat bears with good success. Anybody out there ever use crystal or honey in their Dunkels??????

Thanks for your input/experience Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

i've brewed Jamil's Dunkelweizen twice, he uses 3% each C40 and Special B. turns out pretty good.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for Special B in Dunkelweizen (which is not the same as "Dunkel" btw). Brewed one up recently, and a non-brewer drank a few sips and picked out "plum" as a flavor completely on his own without me mentioning that that's the supposed flavor of one of the malts.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally, I think that the crystal's going to give you too much chewiness for this style and I would cut it back. You don't want too much mouthfeel. Then again I don't like a lot of caramel flavor in my German weizens.

I have, however, used a lb of honey in a dunkelweizen with good results.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
brewtimus
Recipes 

Man, thank you for all the prompt replies. I picked up a couple pounds of special B and a pound of carafa II to go that route. Gonna throw in 4 lbs of honey at flameout. Very excited to see this one go. Hope I take enough yeast out of the bottom dump that it doesn't blow up my conical, lol. Thanks again for all the great replies, finally brewin again and drinkin real beer behind the zion curtain in utah. Cheers jason

Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
brewtimus
Recipes 

Happy new years all. Ok I have to say this is the first and last recipe I ever follow. While I respect what you guys think of Jamil this dunkle is really dissapointing. I wish I would have gone with my first instincts and gone with the dark grains. Holy cow this thing is maybe a shade darker than heffe! While it dropped to the f.g. I had expected this thing is by far a big let down.

Quick Reply