*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Drying out a saison - swap DME for how much sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Cugel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drying out a saison - swap DME for how much sugar?

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well!!! Anyhoo I'm going to be brewing a saison on Saturday and having heard JZ's show on Saisons he advocates swapping out some DME for some sugar to increase the fermentability of the wort.

Given that DME and sugar (sucrose) contribute 46 points per pound can I just swap on a 1:1 basis?

The reason I ask is that I made some Candi sugar for a dubbel and swapped 1.5 lbs Store Candi sugar for a mixture made from 1.5 lbs table sugar and the Dubbel truned out very tasty but with a noticeable alcoholic taste - not hot or in a bad way, but noticeable. It's currently mellowing out in a carboy and will do so for for the next few months.

Thanks for your input!

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If their ratio is the same I don't see why not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply