Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dry yeast for Irish Red Ale and Mild Dark

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
gregdech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dry yeast for Irish Red Ale and Mild Dark

I was hoping to get a little feedback on the best choice of dry yeast for an irish red ale and a mild dark. I realize that to be true to the style I should probably use the irish liquid yeasts (wyeast 1088 or WLP004) but the budget doesn't allow for that right now. The dry yeast I have on hand is as follows:

S-05 - lots of packs
S-04 - one pack
Windsor - 1 pack

So herein lies the dilemna. I am planning a mild dark and an irish red ale over the next couple of days and I am tring to decide which yeast(s) to use for each. The last batch of the mild dark (Orfy's mild mannered ale) I used S-05 and it was very good. But this time around I was thinking of using the S-04 to impart a little more english character to the brew. However, I'm not sure if I should maybe use the S-04 for the irish red and use something else in the mild. So the questions I have are:

1) Would the windsor also work to give some english character (I've never used it before) in either of these beers?

2) Would the irish red be lacking if I used S-05 instead of an english strain with more flavor? The same goes for the mild?

3) Perhaps I should stick with the S-05 for the mild and use the S-04 in the irish red?

Alot of questions I know. Any suggestions or feedback is gladly welcome.

Cheers,

Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Windsor for the Dark Mild, and US-04 for the Irish Red. Both have a nice fruitiness with moderate attenuation, both complementary to the styles you have indicated.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

I'd use windsor for the mild, and nottingham for the red.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

US-05 for the Irish Red. I used S-04 for Orfy's Mild, I think Windsor would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Polifemo
Recipes 

Though you don't have it on hand, I would also go with Nottingham for the Red Ale. I think it would accentuate the richness and slight chocolatiness of a good Irish Red.

Quick Reply