Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > dry vs. liquid yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
crlova2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default dry vs. liquid yeast

I have used liquid yeast almost 99% of the time. I don't really know why other than I have "heard" it is better. What are the pros/cons of either?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Modern dry yeast is pretty darn good. It still has a bit of a stigma attached to it from the past when the techniques were not as good for drying it, and it was somewhat of an inferior product to liquid yeast. Today's dry yeast is much better and can make beers just as good as the equivalent liquid yeasts. Many keep dry yeast in the fridge as a backup if they get a batch of liquid yeast that has gone bad or won't start. It stores longer, and is usually less expensive than liquid yeast.

The biggest advantage to liquid yeast is the much greater variety of strains available which gives you more customization in the flavor profile.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlova2 View Post
I have used liquid yeast almost 99% of the time. I don't really know why other than I have "heard" it is better. What are the pros/cons of either?
It's recommended to make a starter with liquid, whereas dry yeast can be sprinkled directly into the wort or simply rehydrated with some warm water or wort.

Dry yeast lasts longer on the shelf (meaning, in a fridge) than liquid does.

The only real benefit I personally see from liquid yeasts is that there are generally more varieties available than there is in dry form. If I have a recipe that really needs a special yeast, I use liquid. But, I ferment most things with dry US-05 (which is the dry equivalent of Wyeast 1056 or WLP001).

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
DirtyPolock
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on all of the above. In all my education on brewing from this site and a few books that I have read I would definitely agree with the old stigma associated with dry yeast, and the greater variety of liquid yeasts available.

Primary #1: Cascade/Willamette APA
Primary #2: Air
Secondary #1: Belgian Dark Strong

Tap #1: Dubbel Red Balls
Tap #2: Honey Brown Ale
Tap #3: BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA
Tap #4: Penn Dark Clone 1.0

Conditioning in Kegs: Pollinated porter

Bottled/Drinking: AHS Old School IPA; Apfelwein 1/22/10

Not just any keezer build...It's my keezer build | Don't fear the StarSan Foam, a math explanation

Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

+1 on the US-05. I needed a Kolsch for my Spotted Cow clone, and had to go with Wyeast Kolsch, but I usually use the dry. Cheaper and less fuss.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What about rehydrating? Do dry yeasts have instructions on the package for rehyrdrating or is there just a common practice for rehyrdrating all dry yeasts? I am doing a Bell's TH clone and was going to use wyeast 1056 (with starter) but in order to save money I was going to try dry yeast (I guess US-05).

Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
What about rehydrating? Do dry yeasts have instructions on the package for rehyrdrating or is there just a common practice for rehyrdrating all dry yeasts? I am doing a Bell's TH clone and was going to use wyeast 1056 (with starter) but in order to save money I was going to try dry yeast (I guess US-05).
I don't rehydrate my dry yeast. Some people do, and I think it's suggested and explained on the package of US-05, but I just dump the contents of the packet right into the fermenter.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I don't rehydrate my dry yeast. Some people do, and I think it's suggested and explained on the package of US-05, but I just dump the contents of the packet right into the fermenter.
For your bell's TH clone did you use one or two packets of US-05. How did it turn out? Did you use basically the same recipe from brew365.com?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Bheher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know Nottingham has instructions on the package for rehydrating. Not sure if your are supposed to rehydrate US-05 or just pour it on top.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
For your bell's TH clone did you use one or two packets of US-05. How did it turn out? Did you use basically the same recipe from brew365.com?
One packet of dry US-05 is plenty for 5 gallons.

The recipe I used is the clone recipe from BYO magazine, but it's pretty much identical to the one on brew365 or available from Austin Homebrew Supply. The only real difference is some subtle variations in the size of the hop additions and even those only differ by a couple of grams.

I'm pretty sure every variation you find for bell's 2-hearted is just a reprinting of the BYO clone recipe. There's no way multiple individuals came up with the EXACT same grain bill all on their own.

Quick Reply