Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dry Stout Recipe advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
bbrim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Dry Stout Recipe advice

I'm running my first 10 gallon brew tomorrow. I've got my equipment all set so I'm not worried in that regard. I'm splitting it into two fermenters and pitching different yeast strains. The yeasts are what I'm most concerned with but comments on any other aspect of the recipe would be great as well.

14.00 lbs Pale malt (2 row US) 80%
1.75 lbs flaked barley 10%
1.75 lbs roast barley 10%

2.25 oz Cluster 7.8%AA (60 min) = 34.6 IBU

In 5 gallons I have Safale US-05, in the other Lallemand Windsor. Both yeasts are dry.

I plan to mash at 150 for 75 minutes. Fermentation will be at 68 degrees.

Are these yeasts appropriate to the style? How does the rest of the recipe look? I have some Glacier hops and was considering adding a small aroma addition, would that be a good idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm too lazy to figure your your expected OG, but I would up the IBU's until you get to a 1.0 BU:GU (so if you're at that point already, disregard and forgive my laziness, it's Monday morning and I'm at work ). If you're shooting for a classic dry stout, I think you'll find it disappointing if it doesn't have the right level of bitterness. For the same reason I would bump the flaked barley up to 25% of the grist.

For the yeast, US-05 will be great, but I would drop the Windsor. It tends to be pretty fruity and will definitely not finish very low compared to what you're after for a dry stout. Nottingham or S-04 are excellent for dry stout (Nottingham being my goto yeast).

I would skip the aroma addition if it were me, but it's your beer!

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
bbrim
Recipes 

My expected OG is 1.043 and I was aiming for a BU:GU of .8, maybe I should go higher.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The standard recipe I use is 70% British pale ale malt, 20% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley. One 60 minute hop addition for a BU:GU of 1. I am also a big fan of using the Nottingham yeast for this beer, works great.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

I run mine at 1.1 and it seems perfect to me, but everyone is different of course. Give it a try at 0.8 and see if you want to tweak it next time.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
bbrim
Recipes 

I think I'll run a BU:GU at .9 and switch out for nottingham. It will be great to run that side by side with the US-05.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
flipper51
Recipes 

I think a comparison of Nottingham and S-05 would be really interesting, especially if it were done over a large number of brews (group project?). My understanding is that they are the same in a sense, in that they are both derived from the Chico or 1056 strain. In another sense, though, they are different, being propagated and packaged in different buildings in different countries, and could contain different additives (I've heard safale adds nutrients or rehydrating agents).

I'm kind of a biologist by nature, and I'm interested in how much these strains change over time. It's not really possible to know, for example, whether any long-lived brand is truly the same thing as it was 100 years ago, because we don't know how Ancient Hallowed Brewery X's proprietary yeast has changed over its many generations.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrim View Post
I think I'll run a BU:GU at .9 and switch out for nottingham. It will be great to run that side by side with the US-05.
Definitely! Be sure to post the results.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper51 View Post
I think a comparison of Nottingham and S-05 would be really interesting, especially if it were done over a large number of brews (group project?). My understanding is that they are the same in a sense, in that they are both derived from the Chico or 1056 strain. In another sense, though, they are different, being propagated and packaged in different buildings in different countries, and could contain different additives (I've heard safale adds nutrients or rehydrating agents).

I'm kind of a biologist by nature, and I'm interested in how much these strains change over time. It's not really possible to know, for example, whether any long-lived brand is truly the same thing as it was 100 years ago, because we don't know how Ancient Hallowed Brewery X's proprietary yeast has changed over its many generations.
It is rumored that the strain that Sierra Nevada uses (basis of wlp001, 1056, US-05) was obtained from a brewery that used Nottingham. So yeah, I think a side-by-side would be great.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
bbrim
Recipes 

I also adjusted the amount of flaked barley i will use. 72.5% Pale, 17.5%flaked, 10% roasted. I just hope it's ready by St. Patrick's day!

Quick Reply