Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dry pale ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm not a BIAB, but the following water volumes should be pretty close for your recipe:

3.75 gallons mash water (1.5 qt/lb), expect 1.5 gallon grain absorption. Total mash volume (water + grain) should be about 4.6 gallons. Measure volume after pulling your grains out, heat whatever volume you need to get to 6.6 gallon total (mash + sparge), this should be about 4.5 gallons for sparge. Boil at about 1 gallon per hour boiloff rate, finish with 5.6 gallons, chill and dump everything into primary for about 5.5 gallons total.

This is a 2-pot method or 1 pot + cooler. If you do a lot of this size a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler at Home Depot is about $25 and you can preheat that with about an extra 15F than you need for your mash water, wait for it to cool to your strike temperature, BIAB mash in the cooler and dunk sparge in the boil kettle. I was going to start all-grain brewing this way but decided to add a valve and toilet braid to the cooler for a mash tun and batch spage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #22
Balanced_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if you have exactly .5oz Centennial and 1oz Cascade on hand, but anyway I would shift some hops toward later in the boil. A 60 minute and 30 minute add for a pale is not going to leave much in the way of aroma and hop flavor, just the bitterness you need to balance the malt...which you're trying to minimize with your dry pale. I do think ~35IBU is a fair target, but get some 10 or 5 minute additions in there if you have the hops for it - play around with some different things on your software.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #23
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here it is definitely a full boil lol. Hit temps and OG perfect. I let it go a day then checked the temp and it was 82* after 24hrs so I put it in a swamp cooler and got it down to 68* in a couple hours. Do you think it will make any difference letting it go a day?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It might. The first part of fermentation is when most off flavors develop from stressed yeast. You want to start low and finish higher, ideally, but the first few days to a week (or more) of active fermentation are the most critical. Next time get it down to temp and maintain it FIRST, then you can relax on temp control after that as long as you're not exposing the beer to big swings. Letting it free rise after krausen falls is actually desirable though

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok I guess I'll see how it turns out. So I can take it out of the swamp cooler after the krausen goes away? I have a stout that has grain already crushed and ready to go I want to brew but I don't have another tub to do a swamp cooler so I have to wait until the Pale Ale can be taken out. How long will crushed grains stay good? Their in the plastic bag with a rubber band.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajao44 View Post
Ok I guess I'll see how it turns out. So I can take it out of the swamp cooler after the krausen goes away? I have a stout that has grain already crushed and ready to go I want to brew but I don't have another tub to do a swamp cooler so I have to wait until the Pale Ale can be taken out. How long will crushed grains stay good? Their in the plastic bag with a rubber band.
Yes. During yeast cell reproduction is when most of the off-flavors develop. You can also take a gravity reading. If it's nearing your expected FG, you can surely remove it from the swamp cooler, just don't let it get TOO warm, like mid-to-high 70's or higher.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good checked it tonight it isn't foamy anymore its kind of still nasty looking on top but its level. I think I'll give another day or two and do my stout. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #28
ModernDayNord
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I overnight mashed a pale ale (See recipes) at 153 which dropped to 143 overnight. That beer finished as close to 1.000 as I've ever seen. Got over 90% attenuation with US-05 repitch.
Overnight mashing? There's a fine line between brilliance and madness, I think you just found the gray area... I'm intrigued with the possibilities.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayNord View Post
Overnight mashing? There's a fine line between brilliance and madness, I think you just found the gray area... I'm intrigued with the possibilities.

6 batches into it and things are going great. Flexibility is just awesome not having to worry about hurrying up and ending a mash by a certain time. I can start it at night then go to bed, or start it early and then do something all day.

Quote:

Quick Reply