Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dry hopping a stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
brackbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dry hopping a stout?

So I have some unopened fuggles pellet hops left over from my brew day on Thursday (bought them in case my whole hops were bad). I was thinking about dropping them in the secondary when I rack it tomorrow, but have never seen a recipe where stouts are dry hopped. Anybody want to weigh in their opinions? Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

I'd say no. Too much hoppiness is a bad thing in browns, porters and stouts. The dark side is more about malty and grainy.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-03-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
cap46
Recipes 

How big of batch did you make. My last batch that I brewed I took a porter and stout recipe brewed them together. Didn't have time to brew 2 batches that day. I dry hopped 1 carboy just to see how much of a different taste it would make. It's your beer. I've been making hop tea and adding it to different beers as I drink them to see how it changes the flavor. I say go for it if it's what you want. You can't go wrong.

Quick Reply