Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dry hopping a Black IPA with Amarillo and Calypso

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
xrisnothing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry hopping a Black IPA with Amarillo and Calypso

I've got 5 gallons of a Black IPA actively fermenting right now. I've used Citra for bittering and flavoring and added some Amarillo 5 minutes before the end of the boil. My malt bill is 85% maris otter, with some aromatic and special b and a bit of crystal 75.

I'm going for something fairly malty and floral with a lot of fruity notes from the Special B and Amarillo & Citra.

AHS is now carrying Calypso. Their description mentions pear & apple and I think it would be a great addition to this brew, however it's fairly high AA hop. Is it appropriate for dry hopping? How much should I use in combination with the Amarillo? How long should I let the beer sit on them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I haven't used Calypso, but high AA% certainly isn't a reason to avoid using a beer for dry hopping (Simcoe and Columbus are great dry hops and often above 10% AA). Sounds like an interesting beer, good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know how potent calypso is as a dry hop, but my estimate would be a 1:1 ratio with Amarillo. Depending on your gravity, I would say 1.5oz of each would be a solid dry hop schedule (3oz total). I think this is a good number as it would be a very very floral dry hop for a smaller IPA, but only the tad weaker side on an DIPA. I let the hops sit for 5-7 days. It can be up to 2 weeks if you dry hop in the keg.

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Quick Reply