Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dry Hopped Weizenbock Recipe Critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dry Hopped Weizenbock Recipe Critique

Hey guys,

I am trying to brew a beer similar to Brooklyn's Hopfen Weisse. Below is the recipe I came up with. I know I should probably be using 50% Pils and 50% Wheat, but I have 10lbs of Pils on hand and only 5 lbs of wheat. Anyone think this will be a problem?

For a 5 gallon batch:

10lbs CMC Pilsner Malt
5lbs Dark Wheat Malt
1 lb Crystal 15

1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60min
1 oz Centennial or Cascade @ 10min
1 oz Centennial or Cascade @ 0min
1 oz Centennial or Cascade @ Dry Hop

Safbrew WB-06

Will 2 packets be needed for a final expected ABV of 8.5%? I am really looking for a nice heavy ale with a good wheat character and a nice bold hop flavor.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Anyone? I'm looking to pull the trigger on this now, brewing it for a friend of mine, don't want to screw it up.

Quote:
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It seems Wiezenbock is not too popular of a style around here. I did my first batch of it nearly three weeks ago and will bottle it soon.

My only concern, which you've addressed, is the ratio of barley to wheat. I haven't used dark wheat, will the five pounds give you the color you want? Also, I think dry hopping is probably out of style. By all means though, it is your beer so do what you want. What are the IBUs you expect to have with this beer?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
It seems Wiezenbock is not too popular of a style around here. I did my first batch of it nearly three weeks ago and will bottle it soon.

My only concern, which you've addressed, is the ratio of barley to wheat. I haven't used dark wheat, will the five pounds give you the color you want? Also, I think dry hopping is probably out of style. By all means though, it is your beer so do what you want. What are the IBUs you expect to have with this beer?
What do you think the flavor will be like with this barley to wheat ratio? The dry hopping will be to try and imitate the Hopfen Weisse, which is a very hoppy beer.

Basically, I'm trying for a cross between an Imperial IPA and a wheat beer. Something new, maybe.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I think it could be very tasty. I brewed a hefe hopped like a pale ale over the summer, turned out very well (I used Amarillo and Cascade primarily). I think it was smart going with a paler weizenbock, avoiding the darker malts that are sometimes included. Haven’t used WB-06, but I’ve heard mixed things about it (I like 3068 too much to stray), 2 packs would certainly be the safe way to go.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply