Dry Hop IPA w/ Cascade and Fuggles...Your thoughts??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchi Gumee

Reaction score
Does anyone think this is a good idea? I have 1.5oz cascade leaf and 1oz Fuggle pellet for dry hopping...what kind of character would this lend the IPA? The recipe (from a kit put together by the LHBS):

8lbs extra light malt extract

1lb crystal 20L malt
1/2 lb toasted malt
1.2 lb munich malt

1.5oz northern brewer hops (bittering)
1oz cascade (finishing)
1oz columbus (finishing)

1.5oz cascade leaf hops (dry hop)

So is there any benefit to tossing in the 1oz of Fuggles pellet I have in the dry hop with the cascade leaf? Would it add or detract from this sort of recipe?

Thanks!

I think the cascades would probably overpower the fuggles and you wouldn't get much added benefit. 1.5 oz of cascade dry-hopped is going to add a very nice aroma, you won't be disappointed.

Don't add the fuggle. Your recipe looks like an American IPA so fuggles really don't have a place in there. You won’t regret using cascade for dry hopping fuggle on the other hand throws a grassy flavor and aroma.

Thanks a lot, I won't be tossing the Fuggles in.

I ended up with this spare ounce of Fuggles and I'm trying to use it up in a timely manner but I suppose I'll just do something with it in the next batch.

Thanks again! This forum is jonny on the spot.

New Glarus has a beer called Hop Hearty that is dry hopped with Cascade and East Kent Golding. I think cascade and fuggles would work together as a dry hop combo, but between the columbus and cascade, I'd be wary. Columbus is a bit scarce and I'd let it come through instead of possibly muddying it up with even more hop aroma. If I were you I would consider dry hopping with your cascade/fuggles combo the next IPA you make with an adjusted hop bill.

King of Cascade - Gene and Dean are the brownest mofos ever

Don't add the fuggle. Your recipe looks like an American IPA so fuggles really don't have a place in there. You won’t regret using cascade for dry hopping fuggle on the other hand throws a grassy flavor and aroma.

While I agree that Fuggles don't usually go in an APA, Fuggles can be a good DH if you like it as I do.

Although I respect jamo99 cause he's down with the brown I must argue that EKG and Fuggle are worlds apart in flavor and aroma.

I say go for it. The Fuggles is spicy, and that could be pretty good.

If you haven't already tossed any hops in, I would cut the Cascades down to 0.75-1 ounce, though, so that you don't blow the Fuggles out of the water.

TL

Although I respect jamo99 cause he's down with the brown I must argue that EKG and Fuggle are worlds apart in flavor and aroma.

I agree that EKG and Fuggle are very different in flavor and aroma, Mild/delicate vs Very Earthy. I was just pointing out that sometimes pairs that you typically don't think about putting together make good bedfellows. The hints of fruit in the Fuggles may compliment the citrus of the cascade...or it won't, but there's certainly only one way to find out! If you do attempt the combo, I second Tex's opinion on cutting back on the cascade so as not to overpower the other.

I was just pointing out that sometimes pairs that you typically don't think about putting together make good bedfellows

Kinda like chococlate and cheese or bananas and blow

Back