Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Drink more Mild!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Drink more Mild!

Seriously, what's up with the lack of love for mild's these days?

I understand it doesn't have the tooth enamel stripping qualities of a hoppy IPA or smash you over the head with flavor like a RIS, but you'd think that more people would sticking up for this little gem of English beer styles.

To remedy this, October is going to be Mild month here at casa de BierHaus (What better beer for the fall anyways?). Starting tomorrow I will brew a different batch of mild each week (a dark mild, a 'historical' mild, and a pale mild) and when it is all ready to drink, throw a nice mild beer tasting with my local mild-ale enthusiasts... and maybe get a few IPA obsessed friends to take the time and appreciate a beer that's a little more down to earth. If anyone has the mind to do the same, maybe we can organize a little exchange or something in November?

Anyways, here is the first installment of my 3xMild Project:

75% Pale, Maris Otter
8% Malted Oats
8% English Dark Crystal (75L)
5% English Extra Dark Crystal (160L)
4% Pale Chocolate (200L)

Fuggles @ 22 IBU

WY1968/ 1.038/ 19 SRM/

Anyone have any good dark mild recipes or suggestions?? I was thinking for next week doing something with Mild/Brown malt and using WY1469.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love Mild. Maybe my favorite style to have on tap.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a mild in the fermenter right now. My son told me my first one, Orfy's recipe, was the best beer I had made to date. I took it to a club meeting and one of the more experienced brewers told someone to 'try the excellent mild'. A certified BJCP judge (lacking a few experience points of being a national) had a glass. A few minutes later his wife came looking for 'the mild'. I took NONE home.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree!

It's been about 5 months since I last brewed a mild. I think I'll move it up on my schedule. Thanks.

Orfy's mild is great and I've made it three times. But now I own How to British Real Ale and I'm working my way through those mild recipes.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 10-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I <3 Mild. I'm out. I really really need to brew some more, as I've got none in the current pipeline.

Here's the recipe, if you're interested.

Why aren't more people interested in Mild? Because we're Americans, where everything has to be bigger faster louder MORE, including beer styles. Because the vast majority of people think anything less than a flavor bomb (or 8% ABV) is automatically "Meh". Look at the portfolios of most packaging microbreweries.

The beers everyone gets moist panties over are the big ones. When's the last time you heard someone rave over Dogfish Head's Lawnmower (22)? Hell, over Shelter Pale Ale (63)? As opposed to 90 Minute (100) or World Wide Stout (100), of course. When's the last time you saw someone rave over Victory's Helles Lager (79) instead of Storm King (100) or St Victorious (93)?

Numbers in parentheses are from www.ratebeer.com ratings. Look at the review texts, too. If reviewers are indicative of beer enthusiasts, we're all a bunch of nouveau riche idiots who can't tell a good beer if you put neon signs around it flashing "This is a good beer, you moron!" If it isn't so full of flavor that it could rouse a corpse, it's lousy.

There's a story about supposed connoisseurs who were trying to tell vintages of port given them by the butler. One said it was this vintage, another that. The argument was quite heated until the butler told them it was the cheap swill from the pub. (I forget where I read that. Christie?)

In case you can't tell, this is a real hot button for me. Classic beer styles are dropping away from the spotlight - if not actually dying, like Mild - because of popular styles which are only popular because they're so massively flavorful or alcoholic or made with nun's sweat or something.

[sigh]

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

People Like This 
Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'll take the other side - LOL

I prefer flavor in one or two beers as opposed to sitting around drinking beer after beer and wondering if I am just a conduit to the urinal.

But honestly we should all brew and drink those styles that we like. If I wanted to rant I'd be all over the Jalapeno, Blueberry, Coriander Wheat beer brews.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I'm hoping to do a RIS/mild partigyle for my next brew day. Hoping to squeeze it in before my daughter is born in 2-6 weeks. Made Orfy's for a new year party and it went over great!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Bottled my first mild on Friday. Looking forward to it.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love big flavorful beers, and I've never felt shortchanged by a mild. I'm not a large guy- only about 150 lbs., so a sessionable tasty beer like a mild is a beautiful thing.

Back to work on my recipe for a smoked vanilla bourbon coffee imperial Scottish 60/-...

Old 10-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

@Elkdog: Snerk. Don't get me started on "Imperial wotsit". That's an entirely different rant.

@Samc: I get you, and I totally support that. Me, I'd rather enjoy four pints of Mild or Bitter and still have some taste buds than one IIPA and taste nothing but hops for the next 24-48 hours. I find a well-crafted low-OG "session" ale a wonderful thing, because I can drink it for hours and still A. get home safely, and B. taste my bangers and mash.

That rant was more about what I consider a disturbing trend than the drinkers themselves. It's an unfortunate fact that the drinkers drive the trend. Now we're caught in a chicken/egg scenario: Breweries see drinkers falling over themselves for Big Beers and brew Big Beers. Aber natürlich; that's the free market at work. The trouble comes when the less-flavorful beers drop off the radar; I see the industry becoming more and more one of extremes, and styles I adore get lost because brewers don't have the resources to devote to "ho hum" styles.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Quick Reply