Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dried, fresh or extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Leviathan126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dried, fresh or extract?

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to this brewing game. I picked up a nice kit and have only a 1/2 brew under my belt since it hasn't even been bottled yet. With that in mind I'm already planning my next adventure. I was planning on doing something the wife could enjoy as well and came across a recipe for a blueberry ale. My question is in regards to what's better when it comes to fruit. I've read around a bit and it seems it comes down to fresh, dried, frozen or extract. What tends to give a good but not overpowering flavor. If you don't go with extract what's the best way to sanitize the others. I'm sure there's a thread out there for this already but I'm a tard when it comes to forums. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
lutherslagers
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like the purees (click link). They are already sanitized from the canning process and give you fresh fruit characteristics I've not experience in extracts. So my process is to just clean the can, sanitize the can, sanitize the can opener, open and dump into my secondary fermenter and let sit for "x" period of time.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Leviathan126
Recipes 

Thanks for the idea. I wish I would have noticed that on the northern brewer site earlier when I placed my order. Oh well, 2 orders never hurt.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
jwags48
Recipes 

yes the cans are the best. the extracts are ok but only in small amounts. if you only want a small backseat fruit flavor then they work. if you use to much extract then it taste like medicine .... cans are best but they do cost more....

Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
lutherslagers
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Amazon has Oregon Purees, you might be able to save on shipping. Just don't get the ones "in syrup".

Quick Reply