The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dortmunder Export

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
AquaDementia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dortmunder Export

Hello All! I've been hanging around this board for a bit and finally got around to joining. I'm all-grain and have a couple years experience under my belt, but am always looking for critiques on styles that I'm new to. So here we go. Going to get into some dortmunders this next year. Im working on getting a water analysis, so I wont include that in the recipe, but I've read Daniel's 'Desinging Great Brews' and saw water adjustments in there, so I will use those when the time comes.
I made the recipe to replicate the classic style. Not going for anything crazy, just a middle of the road example of the style. Input greatly appreciated!!

Dortmunder Export
6 Gallons 72% Efficiency
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
IBU: 25
SRM: 5.97
ABV: 5.45

7.5 lbs. Rahr Pilsner Malt (60%)
3.0 lbs. Rahr 2-Row (24%)
2 lbs. Weyermann Light Munich (16%)

1 oz. Sterling 6.0% @ 60
.5 oz. Tettnanger 4.5% % 30
Whirfloc at 15 min

Not sure on yeast yet, but will likely go with a lager strain with a higher attenuation. Probably WY 2042 Danish Lager.

Mash at 151-152 F. Single infusion Batch sparge.

Thanks for the Help!!!

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

-Jack Kerouac

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Since it is a German beer, I'd drop the 2-row and go with just Pils & Munich.
JZ uses a ratio of 2:1 Pils:Munich. Your recipe is towards the high end of OG, and towards the low end of IBU, so you could bump up the IBUs.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

The commercial Dortmunders I've had are golden, super clean, and just SCREAM maltiness, but still have the minerally-bitterness to back it up. You might consider reducing the Munich malt or even dropping it all together. A 90 minute boil will darken it up pretty good and Munich malt might make it darker than you'd want. A decoction or melanoidin malt would be good here as well.

Temperature control and adequate yeast pitching are key to get a good clean profile. I think your yeast choice is a good one.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I did one last year that was 74% Pilsner, 15% Munich, 5% Wheat, 5% Carafoam and 1% Melanoiden. It was quite good and was not too dark. I also used the Danish yeast.

Last edited by Poobah58; 01-07-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
AquaDementia
Recipes 

I had read an article on the maltose falcon site (thought I cant find it now), saying that they used a small amount of 2-row to help attenuation of the pilsner malt. The light munich is meant to give a bit more of a malt backbone in the grist. Perhaps, I'll decrease the light munich to a lb. and slightly bump up the IBU's. An additional 15 minute 1/2 oz. Tett addition will bump it up to 29 IBU. Is this late of an addition acceptable or should I tack on the extra IBU at the 60 minute addition?

Thanks for the posts!!

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

-Jack Kerouac

Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDementia View Post
An additional 15 minute 1/2 oz. Tett addition will bump it up to 29 IBU. Is this late of an addition acceptable or should I tack on the extra IBU at the 60 minute addition?
One thing I forgot earlier... welcome to the forum!

According to Ray Daniels (Designing Great Beers), Dortmunders are 20-29 IBUs. "A portion of the hops may be added about fifteen minutes before the end of the boil."

So, I think you're good, but keep in mind you're at the upper end of the scale for IBUs... but you're also at the upper end for OG, so your IBUs may be OK.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
matalec1984
Recipes 

I was looking at this recipe and was interested in brewing it, but I was curious how you got your number for IBU? I put in your hop additions and am getting 31 IBU's. Am I missing something here.

This the formula I'm using to calculate.

IBU= (Weight in ounces x U% x a% x 7489)/(VOL in gallons x O.G.)

Bottled:ESB, Rye Dog Pale Ale V.1, All the Kings Horses Pilsner v.1, Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Daywalker Red Ale v.1,Hazelnut Spiced Porter, 2009 Red Meritage, 2011 Dry Mead, 2009 New England Cyser, 2009 South African Shiraz, 2009 Chilean Chardonnay, 2011 Dry Johannisburg Riesling
Primary: Vanilla Milk stout v.2 and v.3, Chocolate Raspberry Port
Secondary:Italian Barolo, Cran-Blackberry Melomel, Peach Icewine
On Deck:Isla's Boon Strawberry Blonde v.1, Caramel Apple Mead

Quick Reply