Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Doppelbock recipe, first lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
brucepepper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Doppelbock recipe, first lager

I'm brewing my first lager tonight and I just want to run the recipe and techniques by the experts.

8lbs Pilsner
4lbs Munich
2lbs Vienna
12oz. Crystal 40

1.75oz Hallertau 60min.

Saflager w-34 70 (dry yeast)

I'm not sure about the mash temperature but I'm thinking I'll try 152F. I'll collect 6 gallons and do a 90 minute boil leaving me with approximately 4.5 gallons. Pitch the yeast at 70ish and put in my fridge that is set to 50-52F. Primary for 2 weeks and then secondary for 4-6 weeks gradually bringing it down to 40F.

Please let me know if there are any ways that I can improve this. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know there's a bit a controversy about bocks and doppelbocks, but I prefer the majority of my grist to be from Munich and Vienna malts. They are capable of converting their own sugars, so I say up the Munich.

Other than that it looks pretty good. I think a nice middle of the road mash temp is probably a good idea, and it seems that's what you want to do. I would definitely take hydrometer readings to determine when to move it to secondary.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
brucepepper
Recipes 

Do I wait until fermentation has reached final gravity before transfering to the secondary? Also, I'm planning on doing a diacetyl rest before transfering to the secondary.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Shay
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepepper View Post
Do I wait until fermentation has reached final gravity before transfering to the secondary? Also, I'm planning on doing a diacetyl rest before transfering to the secondary.
I would imagine it depends on the yeast being used on whether a diactyl rest is needed. I would also adding some Melanoidin malt if you are not doing a decoction mash.

Quick Reply