Doppelbock Conditioning Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaxl

Reaction score
I have had my Defibrillator Doppelbock 7.0 fermenting for about 20 days now and I am getting ready to bottle.

I am doing it in a Mr. Beer home brew kit.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Linebacker Bock
1 Can Creamy Brown UME
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of beer mix)
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser
1 Cup Honey

Lagering is suggested for the conditioning of this beer. I have a few questions.

I am using 1 liter bottles, how much, and what type of sugar should I use when bottling?

Do I put the bottles in the refridgerator immediately?

Has anyone tried this brew who can give me some pointers?

Any type of suggestion would be very helpful for me, I am very new to brewing.

-Thanks

Welcome to HBT. Did the yeast packet state what kind of yeast it was? Some "lager" kits like this come as pseudo-lagers and use an ale yeast.

If it was a true lager, then you would have fermented it cold (~50°F) and, after primary fermentation, you would transfer it to a secondary fermenter and lager it at near freezing temps for at least 6 weeks on a Doppelbock (really more like 2 to 3 months). Then, you would bottle, but add a small amount of yeast to the bottling bucket because most yeast would have dropped out of suspension with a long lagering time like that. You could bottle condition at room temp. for 3 weeks, then chill/drink.

If it was an ale yeast, a secondary fermenter for a couple weeks would still be beneficial, but you wouldn't necessarily need to lager it at near freezing temps.

Some people lager in bottles, but I recommend against that because bulk lagering is better for the beer and sometimes lager yeast ferment a few extra sugars in lagering, so carbonation is less predictable.

Back