Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dont use "C" hops when brewing a light pilsner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Pangea
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Dont use "C" hops when brewing a light pilsner

So I had this hair-brained idea - Hey, let's try to make a pilsner with pacific northwest "C" hops! I was thinking Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe, but in a pilsner style with a little Saaz on top! Sounds good right? Wrong.

It didn't turn out so well. The grapefruityness of Centennial and Cascade dont match the pilsner malt. It's just too harsh. I used sparingly small amounts (only 0.5 oz of each plus 0.25 oz saaz for aroma) and its just too overbearing and doesn't mesh. I think you need a pretty solid malt base to match the potency of the C-hops. The light pilsner base just doesn't do it. Mine was OG 1.044, 90% pilsner malt, for example. Oh, and I used 1/2 distilled, 1/2 spring water.

Anyway, just my $0.02 and experience I wanted to share with the HBT community.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

How long ago did you brew this? I bet some aging will help take some of the bite off of those hops...

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You should try Humulus Lager from the Bruery. It's an excellent highly-hopped light-bodied beer. Plenty of "C" hops in there!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
How long ago did you brew this? I bet some aging will help take some of the bite off of those hops...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Give it some time before you write it off.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Old Lompoc in Portland has this (pretty good!) and it is now in bottles.

C-Note Imperial Pale - This HUGE Imperial Pale Ale (100 IBU!) is a hop head’s dream. Using Crystal, Cluster, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial,
Columbus and Challenger hops.* (6.9% a/v)

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, you're right. C hops can work in a pilsner or lager, but it has to have plenty malt backbone to give some balance to the bite of the C hops. Mine is thin, a lighter pilsner. Also, something about the combo of the spice of the saaz with the fruity/citrus bite of the centennial/cascade doesn't taste good like you'd think it would. Again, just too much grapefruity, sour bite. I brewed this sucker on 6/27, put it in the keg on 7/18, lagered at 34F until 8/10, then put on the gas for another week or so and now I'm tasting it. For a lighter beer, its aged plenty I think. Its not a guzzler, so I'll have it around for a while. If it changes or softens, I'll update this thread.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
jsullivan02130
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Interesting.

For summer drinkin' I made a cream ale (4.5 lb. two row, 4.5 lb. belgian pils, and 3 lb. flaked maize, with US-05) with Santiams and Cascades.

I hopped it lightly because I knew that Cascades were, at least historically, inappropriate for the style. I love the Cascades but this was just too flowery. That light malt backbone just calls for some spiciness.

If I did it again (and I will, great summer beer) I'll stick with a noble or noble-derived American hop.

"There is nothing in brewing so complicated that a little effort can't make even more complicated."

Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm brewing this pilsner again this weekend, but using Sterling for bittering and Liberty for taste and aroma at 1oz at 15 min, 1 oz at 2 min. Should be more mild than using cascade and centennial.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've made several light lagers or American pilseners with cascade hops as the only variety used and they have universally been great!

Only the other hand, I've been hesitant to use centennial, columbus, or chinook for these. They just seem just a bit more assertive than Cascade. You've got to use a light touch, but Cascade can be very nice in a light lager.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What's a "C" hop? Do certain hops beginning with "C" all exhibit similar qualities?

Quick Reply